Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Guides" during the Great War 1914-18. Anyone know what they did?

Old Owl

Hi All,

Whilst researching an officer of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, I came across something in his obituary which rather puzzled me:

The Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 24th December, 1915.

"Doncaster Sportsman"

"News has been received by Mr E. Walker-Jackson of the death of his nephew, Second Lieutenant Edward Haigh.

"When the war broke out Mr Haigh joined "The Guides", and he and Mr Watson, of the Land Valuation office, were in charge of the headquarters in Louth. He took his own motor car and arranged guides between Doncaster and the Lincolnshire coast. Later he joined the 2/5th KOYLI, one of the regiments raised by Colonel Shaw. In October a year ago he was gazetted Second Lieutenant, and in September went on service.

Lieutenant Haigh, who was unmarried, and 43 years of age, was of independent means. He was well known among the Badsworth Hunt and had travelled extensively. He lived as a boy with his uncle at Scawthorpe, near Doncaster, but recently had a house built in Town Moor Avenue, where he resided up to the time of his death."

(Sadly, 2/Lt Edward Haigh, 1/5th Bn Yorks. L.I., was killed in action on 19/12/15 and is buried in Bard Cottage Cemetery)

I am not exactly sure what purpose these 'guides' served? Has anyone come across them before?

I did wonder if they were associated with the 'National Motor Volunteers'?

Any information or pointers would be much appreciated,

TIA,  Robert

Does anyone have any comments on why and when the "The Guides" were raised, or indeed their purpose?

Possibly a WW1 version of the Home Guard?

I have never heard of them referred to previously unless they were a very localised and short lived entity.

TIA, Robert

• 2 weeks later...

2nd Lt Haigh, taken from the Doncaster Gazette 31st December 1915.

Haigh E. 2nd Lt KOYLI Don Gaz 31st Dec 1915.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jim Mitchell said:

2nd Lt Haigh, taken from the Doncaster Gazette 31st December 1915.

Haigh E. 2nd Lt KOYLI Don Gaz 31st Dec 1915.jpeg

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for taking the time to post his photo from the newspaper--was there an obituary attached?

Have you ever come across the 'Guides' in relation to his obituary as quoted?

Many thanks again,

Best, Robert

Hi Robert. there was no obituary to my knowledge. I have never come across any reference to the guides. I have  compiled a record of over 12,000 photographs of local servicemen and women taken from from a microfiche of the local press in Doncaster from WW1 and WW2. Regards Jim.

Hi Jim,

Many thanks again--it seems as though the 'Guides' may have been a short-term nickname for a short-lived local group of volunteers, who gradually morphed into something along the lines of the VTC or suchlike?

Hopefully something else will emerge to clarify their roll during those early days of WW1.

I was just intrigued when I saw the reference and hoped that someone out there might have further knowledge of same.

Best, Robert