Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nationality (poss injured POWs?)

4thGordons

In a small mixed batch of German photos I recently found - was this.

Totally blank back - no identifying features/photographers mark

Any suggestions as to the nationality of the men? The only clues appear to be the striped cotton garment (dressing gown/ bath robe) worn by the man standing on the right which seems to be the style used in German WWI hospitals, and the tunic on the man on the left. There is something on the buttons but even under magnification it is not clear enough to make out. The jacket looks military but without insignia and would appear to have pocket pleats on the lower pockets (which would be unusual and perhaps diagnostic?)

The men appear to have similar, perhaps darker? skin tones perhaps suggesting Turkish or ?? origins?

Any suggestions appreciated, my initial impression was these might be a group of POWs (given background etc) but that is purely speculative:

Scan20230912_002b.jpg.0da3fd7e2fea2908ff9c7640bf56acd4.jpg

I don’t think this will help much but the tunic looks quite crisp as opposed to a ‘front line’ version. The breast pockets look to slope towards the centre but don’t appear to have buttons or even buttonholes. There also appears to be a form of cuff with perhaps 2 rows of braid/stitching. Are his trousers a darker colour than his tunic? 
The chap in the centre also wears a striped shirt with similar width of stripes to those of the dressing gown. 
In terms of nationality I did a brief search of tunics and found nothing! I wonder if it is a hospital photo as opposed to a pow one?

Simon

Possibly staff and patents in a Hospital some where.

I was thinking maybe in the Balkans some where if the race thing is right

I am no uniform expert but it does look German with the pockets you can take your pick of countries down there.

Thanks both - yes, a hospital pic is absolutely possible, probably more likely than POW it was the absence of insignia that suggested the latter to me, almost certainly two convalescent individuals and perhaps a staff member as suggested.

Chris

Austro Hungarian or Italian May be an option 

I agree with Steve that a Balkans connection seems likely, but there are some similarities too with KuK uniforms.  I’ve noticed that both spheres favoured two features, concealed buttons and pockets set aslant to permit easier hand access.  The jacket in the photo features both, but leaves exposed buttons on the front fastening.  The closest I can find to that arrangement seems to be Bulgarian mountain infantry.  However, the breast pockets in the photo are noticeably lower set than in the artwork below, and those of surviving jackets in national museums.  Forum member @Glenn J might possibly have a view on this, as I think it’s an area that is of some interest to him if I recall correctly.  

IMG_9613.png

IMG_9612.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

goor morning,

This uniform reminds me of that of the Belgians.
The buttons are of the curved type with a number in the center or a lion.

michel

31 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

goor morning,

This uniform reminds me of that of the Belgians.
The buttons are of the curved type with a number in the center or a lion.

michel

That’s interesting Michel, it does indeed look like this one below.  However, the upper pockets have buttoned flaps and the lower pockets are expanding type (cargo), which doesn’t match with the subject photo.  See additional photos as comparison.

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9623.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

IMG_9621.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I would discount Austro-Hungarian. Have we considered Portuguese personnel?

Regards

Glenn

17 hours ago, Glenn J said:

I would discount Austro-Hungarian. Have we considered Portuguese personnel?

Regards

Glenn

Thanks for responding, I did have a look at the Portuguese Glenn, but discounted them because they did not favour any of the features I mentioned as distinctive and initially had no lower pockets either.  In the second half of the war they adopted a copy of the British SD, but in their distinctive grey cloth, made for them by us (the U.K.).  I think Steve is on the right track when he mentions the Balkans, or somewhere not far away from it.  

IMG_9624.jpeg

IMG_9625.jpeg

IMG_9626.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE