Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help in deciphering names in WD

EvgenyS

1. Lieut CSV Cooke
  2. Lieut JR Stratton
  3. D.H. Waller Major R.E. (Royal Engineers)
  4. Lieut C.G. Shaw R.E.
  5. II Lt SC Bonnewell
Edited by WhiteStarLine
Changed Lieuit to Lieut

Thank you all for input - it's sometimes very hard for me to read the WD handwriting in English. At the time of the diary (1918) all these officers were part of the 237th F. Coy R.E. The author (George Scott Atkinson), possibly for the sake of anonimity, calls everyone by some nicknames like Cooper, Day, Skipper, or just Major, etc. I will have to match those. Unfortunately, the National archive where I dowloaded the WD has only the medal cards digitized (but not the service records) for these officers and those have little detail and are difficult to decode.

• Admin

For a  fee an independent researcher would copy them for you if you wished -  don't ask the Archive they a very expensive! I have had some done and each one was less than £10.

Well, I'm not yet at that stage to invest even some money into it. So far I'm trying to manage with free resources. Free downloads of the company's WD's have been a great help and provided a lot of context for the translation.

6 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

WSL - could it be Swallow

Certainly - try a derivative like Swallon as well. Cheers, Bill

2Lt JR Stratton MC RE wounded in caslist published 18/8/17 

Edit courtesy Findmypast

J R Stratton in 1917

British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers' Medical Records

Great Britain

First name(s) J R

Last name Stratton

Birth year 1897

Age 20

Admission year 1917

Admission date 07 Jul 1917

Hospital No 11 Casualty Clearing Station

Rank 2nd Lieutenant

Service number -

Company / squadron 237th Fd Co 47

Corps Royal Engineers

Transferred to 15 AT

Edited by charlie962

Again courtesy Findmypast

James Reginald Stratton in 1916

Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards

Great Britain

First name(s) James Reginald

Last name Stratton

Year 1916

London Gazette reference 1st award LGs:29859/11 Dec 1916(C)(MC): 30950/15 Oct 1918(C)(Bar)

Service number -

Rank Lieutenant

Regiment Royal Engineers

Medal type Military Cross, 1914-1918

Decorations MC+Bar

Remarks First MC as 2Lt. 

Second Lieut. J. R. Stratton, R.E.—He handled his section with marked courage and skill, and greatly assisted in the consolidating of the position. He has previously done fine work.

Edited by charlie962

I had a scour through the 237 Field Company War Diary starting from their return from Italy with the 41st Division in early March 1918. I was looking for other appearances of these names where hopefully the spelling might become clearer.

6 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

image.png.ba01c5e8f87fe56a495466c3c63ca316.png

There are numerious references to a Lieutenant Cooke and where initials are shown they could be C.S.V or E.S.V. But his last appearance appears to be in the entry for the 28th June 1918 when the Company was then out of the line at Oudezeele. I'm reading the opening sentence of that days' entry as ". OC, Lt. Cooke + 2 N.C.O.’s proceeded on bicycles to 4/51st Coy. of French Engineers to reconnoitre sectors held by them, preparatory to taking over."

None of the entrys refer to him having a Military Cross.

Here the picture of the officer identified by @DavidOwen that is held by the Imperial War Museum. Note he is a Lieutenant, is wearing his Military Cross Ribbon, has a rather awkwardly placed wound strip almost on his left elbow and what appears to be two overseas service chevrons on his right cuff.

LieutenantCharlesStanleyVernonCookeMCsourcedIWM.png.0e2deb7ef00660e93f08542bdc9c701e.png

Image courtesy of the Imperial War Museum. Restrictions on re-use will apply. https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205292583

The Medal Index Card for that man shows he landed in France on the 17th April 1917. As an officer he had to apply for his medals, something which he personally did in July 1922. His contact address then was given as 23 Pemberley Avenue, Bedford. There is no obvious birth for him in England & Wales, but a check of the free search of the 1921 Census of England & Wales available on FindMyPast turns up a Charles Stanley Vernon Cooke, born India c1898 and who was then serving in the Army. It may be a co-incidence but Bedford was a major training centre and depot for the Royal Engineers I believe.

The 1911 Census of England & Wales has a 13 year old Charles Stanley Vernon Cooke, born Bombay, recorded living at 32 Lansdowne Road, Bedford. This was the household of his parents John Vernon Cooke and Helen Frances Cooke. Father John gives his occupation as Superintendent Indian Police in the employ of the Indian Government.

But I'm struggling to find the medal card in the National Archive catalogue for his M.C. award or the entry in the London Gazette - there is a chance that would show the unit he was serving with. The citation in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 25 August 1917, (page 8808), just gives the generic Royal Engineers.

SupplementtotheLondonGazettedated25August1917page8808LtCSVCooleMCcitation.png.09982e37327881210548ffb894086331.png

Image courtesy The London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30251/supplement/8808/data.pdf

So for now the juries out on whether that is the right individual. EDIT - just seen @charlie962's response about James Reginald Stratton - if they didn't mention his MC either in the War Diary entry, (see below), then this would appear to be standard practice for this unit.

7 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

image.png.5ebd6f69f05a360e0396700454e89e30.png

The only entry relating to him appears to be on the 31st May 1918 when the Field Company were then at Brake Camp in the Ypres Salient. It appears to read :- "Lieut. J.R. Stratton R.E. returned from leave to Canada."

According to his Medal Index Card, when Captain James Reginald Stratton, R.E., applied for his medals in June 1926 he gave a contact address of 373 Park Street, Peterloo, Ontario, Canada. Doesn't mean he is the right match, but must be a strong contender.

7 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

image.png.47c9e01d5ae53da9b93383c75d80d968.png

You could be forgiven for believing that the good Major signs off the montly war diary entries, plus numerous reports that have found their way into the War Diary as appendices, as D.H. Waller.

But his arrival on the 10th May 1918 shows him with three initials, although the first of these is difficult to be sure of. But the 21st September 1918 entry is much clearer - "Major F.J.H. Waller R.E. (O.C) proceeded on leave to UK". And his last appearance in the entry dated 23rd January 1919 reads "Major F.J.H. WALLER R.E. proceeded to UK for course of instruction at Chatham + Major G.C. SANFORD R.E. assumed command of Company."

237FCWarDiaryentry23011919sourcedTNA.png.6143c1901260898c7e1198386148d992.png

Image courtesy The UK National Archive.

This would appear to be the Major Frederick James Hugh Waller, Royal Engineers, already identified by @DavidOwen

According to his MiC Frederick had first landed in France as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers on the 6th April 1915. When he initially applied for his medals in December 1920 he gave a contact address of 31 Sussex Square, Brighton. But by June 1921 he was asking for his medals to be sent c\o GHQ Ireland.

As far as the civil records go, the 1921 Census of England & Wales, taken on the 4th June 1921, has a Frederick James Hugh Waller, born Marylebone, London c1895 who was recorded in Chelsea. On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 15 year old Frederick James Hugh Waller, borm Marylebone, who was recorded as a boarding student at Wellington College, Crowthorne, Berkshire.

The 1921 Census does include a declaration that needed a signature, so if Frederick was reponsible for the return then that should give you something to do a comparison with.

Although I don't subscribe to Ancestry, my free account, does give me a small glimpse of the family trees, and there is one showing Frederick as having died in 1931. The General Registrars Office Army Deaths Returns shows the death of the 36 year old Frederick J H. Waller as recorded in Kashmir in 1931.

1931 UK Probate Calendar Entry.
FrederickJamesHughWaller1931ProbateCalenarsourcedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.c0ef0d2ab22cd292eadec47e25c197ed.png

Image courtesy https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk

The probate and associated paperwork can be sourced via that UK Government website - last time I saw a price I believe it was £1.50 for very low quality images. If however that includes a copy of the will then that is potentially another source of his signature.

8 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

image.png.4f37603ac8b4d6aef9f22b4592826b55.png

Several entries to choose from for this man.
20th July 1918. Lt. C.G. Shaw joined Company from Base.
13th October 1918. Lieut. C?.P. Shaw R.E. returned from leave + at once proceeded to St. Omer for Horse Mastership course.
6th November 1918. No 1. Section under Lt. C.G. SHAW R.E. went forward on attachment to 11th Queens for bridging operations in the event of enemy withdrawal.

From the 11th Queens War Diary entry for the 8th November 1918 when the plan was to once again try to get a strong patrol across the River Escaut and into the village of Meersche. “A collapsible canvas boat was procured, and a section of Royal Engineers under Lt. SHAW R.E. took charge of the operation of getting the patrol across the river.The situation was fairly quiet with the exception of occasional bursts of M.G. fire. The boat was launched and at 9.00 the crossing commenced” (Although the boat could only hold 8 men at a time, such was the success of the patrol that the whole Battalion would eventually cross in this manner, creating a bridgehead for the French attack of the 9th.) https://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/war_diaries/local/11Bn_Queens/11Bn_Queens_1918/11Bn_Queens_1918_11.shtml

There is a MiC for a Royal Engineers Officer Cecil Graham Shaw, who had first landed in France as a 2nd Lieutenant on the 27th October 1915. He too received the Military Cross, although it wasn't gazetted until the 2nd April 1919, so may relate to his ferrying abilities at the River Escaut - I've not found a citation as yet. It does however show him with 237 Field Company at the time of the deed(s) for which he was being recognised. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31266/supplement/4332/data.pdf

He applied for his service medals in March 1922, giving a contact address of Budleigh, Victoria Avenue West, Swanage, Dorset. Assuming he was in England & Wales at the time of the 1921 Census, the only stand-out candidate  who would have been old enough to have served in the Great War was a Cecil Graham Shaw, born Kensington c1891, who was recorded in Lambeth, Surrey.  And the match for those details on the 1911 Census of England & Wales would be a 20 year old Electrical Engineering Student, Cecil Graham Shaw, born Kensington, who was then living in the household of his uncle G.H. Redwood Esquire at The Oaks, Wray Common, Reigate. As his uncle was absent on the night of the census, and the only other inhabitants were five live in servants, it fell to Cecil to complete the form and sign the declaration. So we have a signature but nothing as yet to compare it to.

GBC_1911_RG14_CecilShawCensusofEandWsourcedGenesReunitedcrop.jpg.6d55339ceed67bdae5dc645a1f65efcd.jpg

Image courtesy Genes Reunited.

8 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

image.png.3ed4708a303583fb0e75005d8813a74b.png

While this version from the 14th October 1918 make it look like the surname is spelt BONNEWELL, the next appearance on the 28th January 1918 looks more like "Lieut. S.C. BONNIWELL R.E & 1 O.R dispatched for demobilization".

237FCWarDiaryentry28011919sourcedTNA.png.629c0c0f5fcaf71cc832e4d7645bb4cd.png

Image courtesy The UK Native Archive.

Which leads us back to the Stanley Charles Bonniwell suggested by @DavidOwen.

According to his MiC, Stanley Charles BONNIWELL formally applied for his medals in September 1921, giving a contact address of 61 St Quintins Avenue, North Kensington, (London) W10. He had been a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, first landing in France on the 6th August 1917.

When the 1921 Census of England & Wales was taken 3 months before Stanley applied for his medals, it picked up a Stanley Charles Bonniwell, born Cape Town, South Africa c1889 and then in Kensington.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 22 year old Stanley Bonniwell, born Cape Town, South Africa, who was recorded as a Boarder at East Wideopen Farm, Dudley-Northand, Northumberland. Stanley was a Civil Engineer in the employ of the Urban District Council - presumably that of nearby Tynemouth.

All of these men are likely to be aware of the power of their vote and so may well have registered  and appeared on the Absent Voters list, (AVLs) when these were prepared. There is a bit more on how the AVL's can help - in particular the 1919 ones completed in conjunction with the armed forces can provide an accurate indication of which unit they were away serving with. But as Officers even the 1918 ones are worth a check. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Hope that helps,
Peter

Further snippet on CSV Cooke is this hospital admission on FindmyPast confirming 237 FC RE.

Screenshot_20230912-0730522.png.885f8a81be255c4bd5234e6931b53097.png

His wounding, as Lt CSV Cooke MC RE was published in Daily Casualty List 22/5/18.

7 hours ago, PRC said:

Hope that helps,
Peter

Thank you very much, Peter (and others), this is great help. Could you spend some more of your time and maybe shed some light on the author himself? It would be useful for the translated book's introduction part.

What I have understood is below:

Full name is George Scott Atkinson (1899?-1983?). He served in 237 F Coy R.E. The diary covers April - November 1918. The WD mentions him first in May and then a few times, with the timeline of events in the WD more or less correlating with the book. However, I have no info for his previous service or life after the war. I can't confirm the birth and death years, which are shown in the book data. I have the medal card, which is attached. From what I understand in the card he started service in May 1918. However, a few lines in the diary hint at a longer service time. Some of them are below as examples:

23 April. Arrived at the R.E. Base Depot, Rouen, and was delighted to find a pile of letters waiting for me. [It appears he had been in the service for some time, as he had letters coming to the R.E. base camp]

21 May. One of the worst nights I have had since March ! [This could mean he was in some fighting in March].

13 September. The last time I was home on leave I remember... [There was no leave for him during the diary period since April 1918]

WO-372-1-145977.pdf

2 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

Full name is George Scott Atkinson (1899?-1983?). He served in 237 F Coy R.E. The diary covers April - November 1918. The WD mentions him first in May and then a few times, with the timeline of events in the WD more or less correlating with the book. However, I have no info for his previous service or life after the war. I can't confirm the birth and death years, which are shown in the book data. I have the medal card, which is attached. From what I understand in the card he started service in May 1918. However, a few lines in the diary hint at a longer service time. Some of them are below as examples:

23 April. Arrived at the R.E. Base Depot, Rouen, and was delighted to find a pile of letters waiting for me. [It appears he had been in the service for some time, as he had letters coming to the R.E. base camp]

Not sure if you have identified the MiC for the right man - that Medal Index Card shows first landed in France on the 12th May 1918, (war diary has him joining up with the unit on the 13th), so can't have been at Rouen on the 23rd April 1918. However the May 1918 British Army Monthly List only shows one G.S. Atkinson in the Index and he was a a Royal Engineer, commissioned 12th January 1918. Could be a time lag so that the MiC man you've identified isn't reflected in the Monthly Army List yet, or an error on the MiC. Will dig a bit deeper into that before starting on the genealogy.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

The index to the July 1918 British Army List still only shows on G.S. Atkinson, and that's our Royal Engineer commissioned 12th January 1918. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103534226

And the same in October 1918 https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103144372

The Monthly Lists weren't adjusted that quickly so that someone could appear in one month and disappear the next, so there is probably little merit in checking every single month. I'm coming down on the side of a mistake by the records clerk, and that he \ she possibly picked up the date George left the Base Depot at Rouen rather than when he stepped ashore. Unfortunately as it made not one jot of difference to the medals awarded there was little incentive for the clerks to pitch for total accuracy.

Even just a free account on Ancestry give you visibility of his MiC front and back.

GeorgeScottAtkinsonMiCsourcedAncestry.jpg.9161b93c19dd8e802f4b6080e394f507.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry.

So what that gives us is that he entered a theatre of war (France) for the first time on the 12th May 1918. He was then a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers, the highest rank he would reach in a theatre of war prior to the Armistice.

He was mentioned in despatches as he was entitled to wear the emblem on his medal ribbons. (Note bottom left hand corner, front).

When he formally applied for his medals in late 1921 he gave an address of High House, Crabbs Cross, Redditch.

But doesn’t look at this stage like there is a match for a George Scott Atkinson on the 1921 Census of England & Wales, or a George Atkinson in the Redditch area.

4 hours ago, EvgenyS said:

Full name is George Scott Atkinson (1899?-1983?).

What follows comes with the usual cautionary note with genealogy – some or all of it could just be a load of co-incidences and red herrings, so checking source documents is advised.

Assuming he was born in England & Wales, (BIG assumption), that gives -  

George Scott Atkinson, mothers’ maiden name Snelson, birth registered with the civil authorities in the Prestwich District of Lancashire in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1899. (There is a George Scott Atkinson whose death was recorded in the Birmingham District in Q2 1983. The registrar was informed his date of birth was the 6th April 1899. It cannot be assumed that documentation was provided to confirm this.)

Familysearch has the baptism of a George Scott “Atkenson”, son of George and Lucy Jane “Atkenson” took place at Church Lawton, Cheshire on the 14th May 1899. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F7SN-HZ4

The most likely marriage of his parents, (if it occurred in England & Wales), was that of a George Atkinson to a Lucy Jane Snelson which was recorded in the Congleton District of Cheshire in the April to June quarter, (Q2), of 1897.

When the 1901 Census of England & Wales was taken on the 31st March there is a 1 year old George S. Atkinson, born Cheetham, Lancashire, who was recorded living at 43 Cleveland Road, Crumpsall, Manchester. This was the household of his parents George, (35, born Newcastle, Northumberland), and Lucy Jane, (26, born Wavertree, Lancashire). It looks like father George’s occupation is given as either “Civil Service – Commercial Tutor” or “Civil Service + Commercial Tutor” – unfortunately an enumerators mark falls in just the wrong place. Either way his employment status is given as “Employer”, which only adds to the confusion if he was a civil servant.

The family also have one live in domestic servant.

By the time of the 1911 Census of England & Wales the family were to be found at Airlie House, Western Road, Flixton, Manchester. This was the first census return completed by a member of the household rather than a census taker going door to door. The form asked for details of those present in the household at midnight on the 2nd April 1911.

Father George, (45, born Newcastle, Northumberland), now gives his occupation as General Tutor, and in this capacity he was an Employer. He and Lucy Jane, (36, now stated to be born Liverpool, Lancashire), record that they have been married 13 years and the union has produced 6 children, all then still alive. All 6 were living with them.
George Scott……..aged 11….born “Manchester”….School
Mildred Josephine.aged 9……born Manchester……School
Ralph Snelson……aged 7…...born Flixton…………School
Thomas Richard…aged 4……born Flixton
Lucy Eleanor……aged 2…….born Flixton
Marion Elsie…….aged 2 months…born Flixton
Also in the house was Lucy Janes’ mother, the 74 year old widow Mary Snelson, and her unmarried sister Josephine Deakin Snelson, (34). Supporting the household was one live in servant.

A check of the Civil brith records shows three likely additional children of the couple, all registerered in the Barton upon Irwell district that included Flixton, and all with mothers’ maiden name Snelson – Henry Forman Atkinson, (Q3 1912), Margaret Joan Atkinson, (Q3 1915) and Robert Gordon Atkinson, (Q1 1917).

From his Medal Index Card we know that George did not see any service oversea in the ranks.He would most likely have reported to a nearby Depot Barracks shortly after reaching 18 and enlisted in the ranks. This would be a fallback in case he failed officer training. He would then be given a rail warrant to his officer training location. An Infantry Officer Cadets training lasted 18 weeks – and that’s if he passed all of it first time. I don’t know how long it look for an Engineer  Officer Cadet, but he was commissioned on the 12th January 1918, (page 967, Fifth Supplement to the London Gazette of the 15th January 1918). https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30483/supplement/1

His location may have been in flux over the next few months – there may well have been post graduation courses to attend to gain specialist knowledge. However it is likely he had a weeks embarkation leave, although it is possible with the losses incurred by the British Army during the German Spring Offensive he was simply thrown in at the deep end.

After holding the reserve line against German attack in March 1918, at a roll call on the 27th March 1918 the company strength is given as 5 Officers and 83 O.R.

On the 29th January 1919 2Lt G.S. Atkinson would end up temporarily in command of the Company for about a fortnight. Don’t think I can spot reference to him after that, but as the officers transferring or being sent for demobilization all appear to be named, the working assumption would have to be that he was still with them in Germany as part of the British Army on the Rhine at the time the War Diary ends in October 1919.

His father would die on the 8th May 1919. His 1919 Probate Calendar entry shows him as a Civil Service Tutor and gives his addresses as Airlie House, Flixton and Victoria Buildings, Manchester. His legal executor was Lucy Jane Atkinson, widow,

GeorgeAtkinson1919ProbateCalendarsourcedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.a65f97e669953d58cc9486d0f622e3e5.png

The National Library of Scotland has British Army Monthly Lists up to December 1919. But the Index for that month does not have a G.S. Atkinson listed, so he had relinquished his commission prior to that. https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/109445117

Armed with the additional information I can see there is a match for George Scott Atkinson, born Cheetham, Manchester c1899 on the 1921 Census of England & Wales – still don’t know why it didn’t come up before!. He was recorded in a household with mother Lucy Jane and 8 others. I don’t subscribe but I suspect it is like to be the Airlie House address.

GeorgeScottAtkinson1921CensusofEandWsearchsourcedFMP.png.3e1b7298e674008d73ca37b8d814a537.png

Image courtesy FindMyPast

The mother of George Scott Atkinson, Lucy Jane Atlinson, would die on the 9th September 1939, aged 64. She was still living at Airlie House, Western Road, Flixton. She appears in the 1940 Probate Calendar with her legal executor shown as George Scott Atkinson, sales manager.
LucyJaneAtkinson1940ProbateCalendarsourcedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.2651d640333d5f09fe04e05406e85d79.png

On the 1939 National Register, (taken 29th September 1939), there is a George S. Atkinson, born 1899, whose entry would be worthwhile checking out. He was recorded at “West Wood”, Feckenham Road, Redditch. Also resident at the same address was a Gladys G Atkinson, born 1891. There may also be closed entries at that address – the original document would need to be checked on FindMyPast \ Ancestry.

I don’t know if they were a married couple but a George S Atkinson did marry a Gladys G. Yeomans in the Bromsgrove District of Worcestershire in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1934. Given their ages there is a possibility that either of them could have been married before.
Familysearch has a dataset “Warwickshire Parish Registers 1535-1963) which shows the bride as Gladys Gwendolen Yeomans, the wedding taking place on the 10th July 1934. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGYQ-M2GL
(The marriage certificate would show Grooms father, grooms fathers occupation and whether he was deceased, all of which would help increase the certainty that the right man has been identified.)

There is a 1983 Probate Calendar entry for a George Scott Atkinson who died on the 13th April 1983. His home address was given as 104 Feckenham Road, Headless Cross, Redditch, Worcestershire. Legal executor details were not included at this stage so you’d need to consider purcharsing the documentation to see what family details were shown
GeorgeScottAtkinson1983ProbateCalendarsourcedprobatesearchservicegovuk.png.a36ea5d3d8a6d9495d59be2c5fce1a80.png

Hope that helps,
Peter

12 hours ago, PRC said:

Hope that helps,
Peter

Thanks for this detailed account, Peter, it is of great help. He mentions in the diary for May 10 that "I am posted at last and to my old company", so probably after being commissioned he could have been for a while with the 237 company as urgent reinforcement 'thrown in at the deep end' during the Spring Offensive (he refers to some 'bad night' in March probably meaning his first-time combat experience), then when things settled a bit he could have been sent on some 'postgraduate course' at the base camp as you describe where the diary starts on April 23. However, his possible initial appointment to the company could not have been earlier than first half of March as the company had been in Italy for a few months before that and it was not recorded in the company's WD at all, he is mentioned for the first time only on May 12. So I'm not sure how to interpret this info about the 'old company'.

37 minutes ago, EvgenyS said:

So I'm not sure how to interpret this info about the 'old company'.

Unfortunately if it exists at all the answer probably lies in his officers long papers https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1158295

I agree he was probably out earlier than the 12th May 1918 date shown on his Medal Index Card, but probably not much earlier - if we have the right date of birth for him then he was only 19 on the 6th April 1918.  This was the minimum age the British Army were then looking to send someone to a theatre of war, and was the price the politicians had demanded back in 1916 for passing the legislation that allowed for conscription. Although in theory that only applied to other ranks, a similar approach appears to have been used for officers. The massive losses did force the British Government to make a concession later in April and release those men in the UK aged 18 years 9 months and older, but this was revoked a couple of months later.

The wording of the war diary entry on the 13th May 1918 has George and 3 Sergeants arrived from base as re-inforcements. That doesn't sound for example like a man returning to his unit after a period of medical treatment and at that point there would have been minimal leave being granted.  Nor does it sound like a man returning from a training course or after a period of detached duties. As you can see from the war diary men being attached and others detached was a regular feature of a Royal Engineer Field Company life. I think therefore the 13th is his first encounter with 237th Field Company - there is no prior history.

Presumably there is also something that prompted him to start writing the diary on April 23rd.

Cheers,
Peter

Yes, I came across this record too but it's not digitized. The helpful info that you provided is enough for my purposes - general info for the context of the book and not a personal relative/ancestor search. Thanks again.