Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion 1st AIF

Fedelmar

Yesterday I attended the launch of Wes Olsen's book "The Eleventh: The History of the 11th Australian Infantry Battalion 1914-1919 Volume 1". 

It certainly was a wonderful event and great to see not only the family members but past and present serving ADF soldiers, well known and respected WA military historians and other local dignitaries present.

Wes has worked long and hard with his research and the depth of the documents resourced is indicative of what we have available in first hand accounts that gives us a truthful account of events when people accept the challenge to seek out the truth.

Wes said that he is taking a break from military history and will be writing a book on steam trains and will commence writing the 11th Battalion history in France (Volume 2) towards the end of next year.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fedelmar
reworded

I wish him well and hope he is able to let of his steam quickly and get back to the 11Bn in France.

In the meantime he needs to contact his publishers of his earlier Gallipoli book and get their web site review amended

https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/gallipoli-the-western-australian-story

"Drawing on a wealth of research—from personal accounts to official records—the soldier’s journey is laid out, from initial conscription and treacherous landing ...."

for the AIF, enlistment - yes, conscription - no. That was an enormous issue in Australia, with two referenda over the issue. As we draw near to another referendum (not on conscription) how we change our constitution remains a contentious issue.

On 14/09/2023 at 06:28, Chasemuseum said:

I wish him well and hope he is able to let of his steam quickly and get back to the 11Bn in France.

In the meantime he needs to contact his publishers of his earlier Gallipoli book and get their web site review amended

https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/gallipoli-the-western-australian-story

"Drawing on a wealth of research—from personal accounts to official records—the soldier’s journey is laid out, from initial conscription and treacherous landing ...."

for the AIF, enlistment - yes, conscription - no. That was an enormous issue in Australia, with two referenda over the issue. As we draw near to another referendum (not on conscription) how we change our constitution remains a contentious issue.

When I see Wes next I will point him in the direction of your post 

Thanks,

sorry to be pedantic but I expect more of a University.

I suspect Wes will be mortified.