Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange Unidentified Inherited British Bayonet Sword

Confused Inheritor

Hey everone, I recently inherited this worn looking 1907 sword bayonet.

I tried using oldmilitarymarkings.com to understand the markings on it but I'm at my wits end as many of the markings don't fit what I've got.

That and many others seem diffrent than mine.

If you could help me I would be more than greatful, and if not then at least thanks for having a look.

On the front of the scabbard there seems to be RE circled so I think its from Remmington?

On the back some sort of number seems etched in, seems to be 33 or 38, no idea of the meaning.

The hilt has 104/194 on it.

The sword itself has 1907 and then in the top left F1/127, the other side with what I think is the Government acceptance mark, but then also a 7 and F137. Although its hard to see there is a small 3 above the large visable 7 with a sideways 7 just under that 3.

Also full picture with tomato for scale.

Any idea on the marking meanings?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

20230910_143348.jpg

20230910_142446.jpg

20230910_142336.jpg

20230910_143601.jpg

20230910_181815.jpg

20230910_181742.jpg

The RE on the scabbard throat indicates that component was manufactured by REmington in the US. They made a lot of scabbards and replacement parts

The bayonet itself is a bit mysterious - it has clearly been HEAVILY and fairly clumsily sharpened.

The absence of a manufacturer is unusual, as is very little sign of the royal cypher.

Others may have a better insight but I am going to suggest this is a bayonet which has been refinished by India, probably post 1947. The F1 37 and F1 123 inspection stamps look to me to be a more modern font - and in the style of inspection stamps on Ishapore Enfields and bayonets. I will try and dig out some images for comparison but that is my initial impression.

Chris

Hey Gordon and cheers for the help,

To be quite frank this is an enigma to all of my family, we found it a bit randomly in my grandma's attic, and she never really bought things like this or antiques.

Who or why it's sharpened is odd too, allthough the thought of my gran in a moterised wheel chair ready to thow hands is quite funny.

Thank you for the help, any insight is wonderful!

Same opinion  about sharpening, i believe when You look with magnyfying glass under 1907 near crossguard You will found the maker, the pictures are too dark to see more. Other side could be rework in 1927.

Indian service was my thought (same as Chris) as soon as I saw this, the whole blade being blued was another indication.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Are we looking at F I = Factory Ishapore, although it is usually R(ifle) F I.?

Regards,

JMB

As per others thoughts - appears to be a typical Indian refurb job ... and the Indian style inspection marks added would seem to confirm. Think I can just make out the remains of some original British markings on it though.

Cheers,  SS 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2023 at 23:42, JMB1943 said:

Are we looking at F I = Factory Ishapore, although it is usually R(ifle) F I.?

I think that you are spot on there, JMB. Found on both sides. So, an alternative stamp, but used from when? Only for refurbished ones?

Julian

• 2 months later...
On 11/09/2023 at 01:31, Confused Inheritor said:

Hey everone, I recently inherited this worn looking 1907 sword bayonet.

I tried using oldmilitarymarkings.com to understand the markings on it but I'm at my wits end as many of the markings don't fit what I've got.

That and many others seem diffrent than mine.

If you could help me I would be more than greatful, and if not then at least thanks for having a look.

On the front of the scabbard there seems to be RE circled so I think its from Remmington?

On the back some sort of number seems etched in, seems to be 33 or 38, no idea of the meaning.

The hilt has 104/194 on it.

The sword itself has 1907 and then in the top left F1/127, the other side with what I think is the Government acceptance mark, but then also a 7 and F137. Although its hard to see there is a small 3 above the large visable 7 with a sideways 7 just under that 3.

Also full picture with tomato for scale.

Any idea on the marking meanings?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

20230910_143348.jpg

20230910_142446.jpg

20230910_142336.jpg

20230910_143601.jpg

20230910_181815.jpg

20230910_181742.jpg

She is an Indian refurb a typical British, HOWEVER she is quite rare, It appears that she was not in Indian official stores long as she is still a full length blade. She was either pinched after refurb in the late 20's or left in some para-military/government organisation until post war - 1960's.

More likely she was one of the first to be sent out with Indian troops or British troops stationed in India to Europe for WW2 and subsequently not returned to India post war to be cut down and refurbished again. 

As others have said, heavily sharpened. 

Kind regards,

g

Edited by navydoc16