Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Histories of the 52 (Lowland) Division's regiments & battalions during the Palestine Campaign

Eran Tearosh

All,

A few days ago, I gave a talk about the capture of Jaffa and the two crossings of the Auja River, in Nov. & Dec. 1917. The highlight is, without doubt, the second crossing of the river, during the night of 20-21 December, by the Scottish 52 (Lowland) Division. Fortunately, there is no lack of good quality sources about this event – above all the Divisional History & Cyril Fall's OH (There are a few more general sources).

However, I decided to take a deeper look into this division during the Palestine Campaign. If I exclude Gaza I & II and concentrate on the Southern Palestine Campaign alone, this means referring to October 1917 till April 1918. During these months, the division was involved in three significant areas of fighting: The pursuit through Philistia (Nov. 6-14), the Judean Hills (Nov. 19 till the end of the month), and the area of the Auja River (Dec. 1917 till March 1918).

As far as Regimental Histories (I'll relate separately to Battalions Histories): My problem is that most regiments had only 1-3 battalions in this theatre of war, which means that in most cases – only a few pages from a whole book will describe what happened here. The price of these full books (If available) plus the super-expensive shipping costs (Sometimes more expensive than the book itself!) causes me to be careful and to double-check how relevant each book is to my fields of interest.

So, if anyone has one or more of these books (Or other relevant ones I'm not aware of) could you kindly advise me about the number of pages that are relevant to the 52nd Division's battalions in this theatre of war:

Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF): Two RSF battalions were serving with the 155th (South Scottish) Brigade – The 1/4 & 1/5. The book I know about is History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers 1678-1918, by John Buchan.  I have little expectations about this book as I find in its description: "One-third of the book is taken by the Great War" and "As there were nine battalions (1, 2, 1/4, 1/5, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12) which between them served on the Western Front, in Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine, and Macedonia, this doesn’t leave too much room for detail". Not very encouraging…. I hope there are other, more Great War-orientated books, that I don't know about.

King Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB): Like the RSF, two KOSB battalions were serving with the 155th (South Scottish) Brigade – and again, like the RSF, numbered the 1/4 & 1/5. I know that this book exists: King Own Scottish Borderers in the Great War, by Captain Stair Gilon. Of course, I'll be delighted to find out more about this book and if there are other books about the KOSB during the Great War.

Royal Scots (RS): Two RS battalions were a part of the 156th (Scottish Rifles) Brigade – The 1/4 (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles), Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) and the 1/7 Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment). I know of a book called Royal Scots 1914-1919 by Major John Ewing. Again, I'll be delighted to find out more about this book and if there are other books about the Royal Scots during the Great War.

Scottish Rifles (Cameronians, SR): Two SR battalions were a part of the 156th (Scottish Rifles) Brigade – The 1/7 & 1/8. So far, I haven't found a Great War Regimental History of the Cameronians (There is a Roll of Honour). Does anyone know of such a book?

Highland Light Infantry (HLI): Three HLI battalions were serving in the 157th (Highland Light Infantry) Brigade – 1/5th (City of Glasgow), 1/6th (City of Glasgow) and the 1/7th (Blythswood). I found on the net the book called Proud Heritage, by Lt-Col. Oatts, with a 16-page chapter about the Palestine Campaign (Not great…). Are there any more? I'll relate to the fourth Battalion (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) separately.

As to Battalions Histories (And private memoirs): Naturally, these are where most of the finer details and anecdotes will be found.

RSF 1/4th – So far, I haven't found any battalion history.

RSF 1/5th – So far, I haven't found any battalion history.

KOSB 1/4th – Available online, titled War record of 4th Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers.

KOSB 1/5th – I understand there's a book titled War History of the 5th Battalion King's Own Sottish Borderers, by Scott Elliot. It seems rare and very expensive. If someone has it, I'd love to read more.

RS 1/4th – So far, I haven't found any battalion history.

RS 1/7th – A short book titled The 1/7th Battalion, The Royal Scots. I have a hard copy.

SR 1/7th – From a GWF thread I understand there's a book, not sure if regimental or battalion history.  

SR 1/8th – I understand there's a book titled With the 8th Scottish Rifles 1914-1919, by F. L. Morrison. I'd love to recive an opinion about this book.

HLI 1/5th – Available online, titled The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914-1918.

HLI 1/6th – So far, I haven't found any battalion history.

HLI 1/7th – So far, I haven't found any battalion history.

1/5th (Renfrewshire) Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) – I understand there are several books of the regiment. Specifically, I see there's a book titled 5th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (Territorial), Vol. 2, by Vincent P. Gillen. Does anyone have it?

So far, I found only one personal memoir, of an officer: A Yarn of War, by Captain E.R. Boyd (Highly recommended!!). I'll be delighted to learn about any other memoirs by other officers or other ranks from this division.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

I took a little look on Archive Org and found the odd thing that references the period, but usually very briefly.

For example “The flowers of the forest: Scotland and the First World War” by Trevor Royle covers the period you are interested in in less than two pages. 148-149.

Theflowersoftheforest-ScotlandandtheFirstWorldWarpage148to149sourcedarchiveorg.png.6148a16e2387b09c7c158f662db19418.png

Image courtesy Archive org https://archive.org/details/flowersofforests0000royl/page/148/mode/2up?q=Scottish+Borderers&view=theater

But the two sources noted in the text as 33 and 34 are:-

33 Young, With the 52nd Lowland Division, page 36
34 NA WO95/4608 War Diary 5th Kings Own Scottish Borderers. https://archive.org/details/flowersofforests0000royl/page/338/mode/2up?q=Scottish+Borderers&view=theater

“With the 52nd (Lowland) division in three continents, by James Young, RAMC, Lieutenant-Colonel commanding 1/3rd Lowland Field Ambulance in the Dardanelles, Egypt and Palestine during the First World War” is freely available on the wellcome collection website https://wellcomecollection.org/works/ss7cv7cw/items

While looking for that on Archive org I came across “Hell in the Holy Land: World War 1 in the Middle East” by David R. Woodward. https://archive.org/details/hellinholylandwo0000wood/mode/2up?q=Young+With+the+52nd+Lowland+Division

There is also the same authors “Forgotten soldiers of the First World War” https://archive.org/details/forgottensoldier0000wood/mode/2up?q=Young+With+the+52nd+Lowland+Division

Probably nothing new for you but may be worth checking out the sources quoted in them.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks, Peter!

This book (The Flowers of the Forest) demonstrates exactly why I'm a bit careful regarding the purchase of the more general books, including some of the Regimental Histories - Too many times there are only a couple of pages that are relevant. However - seems this book has a great bibliography! I'll have a much closer look at it later. 

I have a hard copy of the Forgotten Soldiers of the First World War. As far as I know - it's exactly the same book as Hell in the Holy Land. One was published in the U.S. while the other was published in the U.K.. Good book for 'anecdotes hunting', but less for following various units. 

Yes, I am familiar with Young's book, With the 52nd (Lowland) Division in Three Continents. 

Again, thanks!

Eran 

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Hopefully you’ll get lots of sources from Forumites.

Have you tried the respective regimental museums for books on the campaign they may know of?

It’s unlikely they do, but worth asking anyway. 

I asked a few regimental museums for the lists of memoirs they had by soldiers who had served in their regiments in the Great War.

Remarkably, none had ever complied such a thing. I was astounded.

Hi Derek.

Yes, I'm quite astonished too by the outcome of my correspondence with several Regimental Museums over the years...

Here and there I received some assistance, but less than would be expected. At this moment - waiting for a response from some Scottish Regimental Museums. 

Thanks,

Eran

On 10/09/2023 at 19:12, Eran Tearosh said:

Scottish Rifles (Cameronians, SR): Two SR battalions were a part of the 156th (Scottish Rifles) Brigade – The 1/7 & 1/8. So far, I haven't found a Great War Regimental History of the Cameronians (There is a Roll of Honour). Does anyone know of such a book?

https://www.amazon.com/8TH-SCOTTISH-RIFLES-1914-1919/dp/1843427400 

You probably have it already and it's Regimental level you were asking about. Couldn't readily find Regimental level.

Edited by charlie962

You could see if there is anything in these online Bibliographies

A Bibliography of Regimental Histories of the British Army compiled by Arthur S. White 1988 edition. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library. 

Maureen

The History of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 26th and 90th. Volume 1, 1689-1910

JOHNSTON, S.H.F.

available at “Abe Books”.  Also “Attic Books”.

IMG_9609.jpeg

The History of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).: 1910-1933. Volume 2. 

H. H. Story

Hazell Watson & Viney Limited, 1961 - World War, 1939-1945 - 430 pages.

IMG_9638.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

THE HISTORY OF THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES) VOL III 1933-1946

by C.N. Barclay

Published by Sifton Praed & Co. Ltd.. Circa. 1947

IMG_9610.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

And finally: 

BAYNES John

The Close of Empire, 1948-68 (volume 4) (History of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)).

IMG_9611.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

https://www.amazon.com/8TH-SCOTTISH-RIFLES-1914-1919/dp/1843427400 

You probably have it already and it's Regimental level you were asking about. Couldn't readily find Regimental level.

Thanks, Charlie!

I'm looking for both Regimental and Battalion Histories

As to the 8th Scottish Rifles: I mentioned this book in the list of Battalions Histories. I don't have a copy (At least, yet...) but I would like to have an opinion about it from someone who does have it and to know what part of the book covers the Palestine Campaign.

Eran

Frogsmile

As I'm researching the Palestine Campaign, this would be very interesting to me: The History of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).: 1910-1933. Vol. [2]

Do you (or anyone else) have a copy of it?

Mant thanks for the effort!

Eran

1 hour ago, MaureenE said:

You could see if there is anything in these online Bibliographies

A Bibliography of Regimental Histories of the British Army compiled by Arthur S. White 1988 edition. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library. 

Maureen

Thank you, Maureen!

I already looked at some of these, but others are new to me - I'll 'dive' into them Later!

Eran

1 hour ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Frogsmile

As I'm researching the Palestine Campaign, this would be very interesting to me: The History of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).: 1910-1933. Vol. [2]

Do you (or anyone else) have a copy of it?

Mant thanks for the effort!

Eran

Unfortunately it seems to be either, the most popular volume, or the one produced with the smallest copy run.  My first search has revealed only one copy, at £165, which I would not recommend as good value: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31543327190&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp2-_-tile6&searchurl=ds%3D10%26spo%3D10%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3DHistory%2BCameronians%2B%28Scottish%2BRifles%29.%26p%3D2%26sp%3D1

It is listed under Google books and it’s possible I suppose that there’s a digitised copy accessible somewhere, but I don’t know for sure: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31543327190&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp2-_-tile6&searchurl=ds%3D10%26spo%3D10%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3DHistory%2BCameronians%2B%28Scottish%2BRifles%29.%26p%3D2%26sp%3D1

Edited by FROGSMILE

21 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Yup, I think 165£ is not a good value...

Unfortunately the book’s rarity seems to drive its price.  The great supply and demand principle of capitalism that we all love so much….:glare:  That they are not digitised by some kind of nationally funded cultural department seems wrong to me, but then there are so many competing open mouths for funding in our state supported, welfare oriented society and I understand where the political priorities quite rightly lie.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

There is a Google Books edition, unfortunately not viewable, but it is searchable. https://books.google.com/books?id=geIdAAAAMAAJ It is from the collection at the University of Michigan. If you searched the book, and found a reference to pages of interest, you might be able to obtain copies of these pages from the University of Michigan Library. Most likely there would be a fee.

The book was published 1961, so it will be under copyright in the USA for more than 30 years.

Maureen

Hello, sorry late to conversation here.

(1) The Cameronians Vol II. Chapter 20 is entitled "Nebi Samwil, Passage of the 'Auja River"., pages 227 to 237. Pages 233 to 237 cover the latter. 

(2) Proud Heritage, The Story of the Highland Light Infantry, Vol III, Chapter XVII, The Palestine Campaign, pages 243 to 258, with mention on the Auja in very general terms on pages 252 to 255.

(3) The Royal Scots 1914-1919, Volume 2., Chapter XXX, The 4th and 7th Royal Scots in Palestine, pages 520 to 544, with pages 536 to 543 covering the crossing.

(4) The KOSB in the Great War, Book III [within the main book], Part V, The crossing of the Auja, pages 284 to 289.

(5) The Fifty Second Lowland Division 1914-1918, Chapter XXVII, The Battle of Jaffa-The Passage of the Auja, pages 475 to 511, the actions seem to merge in this chapter.

Regards

LIT 

I do not have my copies of Ewing 'The Royal Scots' or I would scan the pages and send them to you, if I am not beaten to it I will endeavour to send them later this year.

My interest has been in John George West, formerly 9th Royal Scots

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

'Romanian Order of Michael the Brave, 3rd Class London Gazette 20 September 1919. This scarce order was awarded to only nine British recipients for services during the Great War... The decoration could be associated with the crossing of the river Arja, the river was in flood, and the Division crossed on small box-like rafts, pulled by ropes, 2 to 3 hours behind schedule. The Transport Officer said to him “I bet you a fiver you get the M.C.”'

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/noonansmayfair/catalogue-id-dix-no10040/lot-d726e61f-1fd5-4c42-a240-a7eb00fe060b

And we know this of course, started by @michaeldr

On 14/09/2023 at 02:50, MaureenE said:

There is a Google Books edition, unfortunately not viewable, but it is searchable. https://books.google.com/books?id=geIdAAAAMAAJ It is from the collection at the University of Michigan. If you searched the book, and found a reference to pages of interest, you might be able to obtain copies of these pages from the University of Michigan Library. Most likely there would be a fee.

The book was published 1961, so it will be under copyright in the USA for more than 30 years.

Maureen

Thank you, Maureen!

I had to put in dozens of searches, most of them names of places (Didn't show content/s). Turns out that Section Five of the book is about The campaign in Palestine and there are probably three chapters there:

Chapter 18: (Probably titled First & Second Battles of Gaza or simply Gaza)

Chapter 19: Third Battle of Gaza

Chapter 20: Nebi Samuel and the Auja River

All in all, about 38-40 pages. I can't find references to illustrations and maps/sketches. 

I still hope someone here has a copy of the book and hopefully, I'll be able to get more info and even some scans.  I'll contact a Historian friend from the U.S. and see if she can help with the University of Michigan. 

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

On 14/09/2023 at 10:05, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hello, sorry late to conversation here.

(1) The Cameronians Vol II. Chapter 20 is entitled "Nebi Samwil, Passage of the 'Auja River"., pages 227 to 237. Pages 233 to 237 cover the latter. 

(2) Proud Heritage, The Story of the Highland Light Infantry, Vol III, Chapter XVII, The Palestine Campaign, pages 243 to 258, with mention on the Auja in very general terms on pages 252 to 255.

(3) The Royal Scots 1914-1919, Volume 2., Chapter XXX, The 4th and 7th Royal Scots in Palestine, pages 520 to 544, with pages 536 to 543 covering the crossing.

(4) The KOSB in the Great War, Book III [within the main book], Part V, The crossing of the Auja, pages 284 to 289.

(5) The Fifty Second Lowland Division 1914-1918, Chapter XXVII, The Battle of Jaffa-The Passage of the Auja, pages 475 to 511, the actions seem to merge in this chapter.

Regards

LIT 

And here we are...

Thank you so much, LIT!

If I understand correctly - I take it you have hard copies of these books? (I have the Divisional book. No. 5 on your list)

I'll send you a PM. 

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

16 hours ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

I do not have my copies of Ewing 'The Royal Scots' or I would scan the pages and send them to you, if I am not beaten to it I will endeavour to send them later this year.

My interest has been in John George West, formerly 9th Royal Scots

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

'Romanian Order of Michael the Brave, 3rd Class London Gazette 20 September 1919. This scarce order was awarded to only nine British recipients for services during the Great War... The decoration could be associated with the crossing of the river Arja, the river was in flood, and the Division crossed on small box-like rafts, pulled by ropes, 2 to 3 hours behind schedule. The Transport Officer said to him “I bet you a fiver you get the M.C.”'

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/noonansmayfair/catalogue-id-dix-no10040/lot-d726e61f-1fd5-4c42-a240-a7eb00fe060b

And we know this of course, started by @michaeldr

Thank you, Neill. 

I'll just add that I know that the crossing of the Auja River is one of Michael's favorites!

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

The Royal Scots book was published 1925, and is therefore out of copyright in the US.  There are Google Books editions where a pdf "should" be available to download for persons in the US.   I can't see the two volumes of this book.

Eran, you mention a Historian friend from the US.  If she is a currently in the US, (or has a contact in the US) she/her contact may be able to download a pdf file from a Google Books edition which follows, and send it to you. On the Google Books page  there will be a red box with the wording "READEBOOK" on the left hand side of the Google Books page. If she can't see this box, it is possible to contact Google Books and request that a download be made available. (Send me a PM if you need instructions about this)

The Royal Scots, 1914-1919, Ewing 1925 

Volume 1 (2 separate files are available, both should be the same) https://books.google.com/books?id=d5UFAQAAIAAJ 

https://books.google.com/books?id=yumzAAAAMAAJ

Volume 2 (2 separate files are available, both should be the same) https://books.google.com/books?id=54YFAQAAIAAJ

https://books.google.com/books?id=kPOzAAAAMAAJ

If you get sent a file/files, it would be great if you would forward it/them on to me, and I could then upload the book/books to the Internet Archive.

Maureen

Edited by MaureenE