Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of Steam Tractors

JohnnyBoy87654

I wonder if anyone can help me. A friend has purchased a 1918 Steam Tractor and is keen to determine as much of it's history as possible, for both the actual tractor and the purposes for which it would have been used. It is a Ruston and Proctor scd steam tractor, built 31st December 1918. Some of the known facts are:

* the War Department commissioned 100 such engines, this is number 79 and one of only six believed to be in existance

* it entered service during January 1919, spending time in France and Egypt

* at one time it was assigned to the 12/18 Lincs

If anyone has any knowledge of this machine or these machine4s in general it would be gratefully received

IMG-20230910-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230910-WA0007.jpg

No info sorry, but great pics.
(Clone out  the overhead power cables, the cement mixer, dump sack and the UHF aerial, and it could be 'Somewhere in France, 1917' couldn't it?)
My GF was a steam loco driver on attesting into the ASC, but graduated to caterpillar driver (Holts etc.) and lorries as the war progressed.

Thanks for the comments; I hadn't viewed the picture in the way you have but you are absolutely correct! The owner is passionate about the steam tractor, he and his wife view themselves as temporary custodians knowing that one day it will pass from their hands.

7 hours ago, JohnnyBoy87654 said:

at one time it was assigned to the 12/18 Lincs

Hi @JohnnyBoy87654 and welcome to the forum :)

Intrigued by that unit - 99.99% certain there wasn't such a unit of the Lincolnshire Regiment, and as an Infantry Regiment it would seem unlikely they would have a steam engine assigned. However many temporary units came into existance following the armistice as the wartime army began to rapidly shrink back to a size appropriate for peacetime and men were shuffled around.

Similarly I'm fairly sure that the British Army quite rapidly vacated France in early 1919, with many of the remaining units moving either to Germany or Belgium or returning to the UK. There were support arms left in France such as units of the Army Service Corps \ Royal Engineers and Labour Corps to help with battlefield clearance, reconstruction, and the maintenance of infrastructure, while the medical facilities were gradually wound down as the year went on and patients were cleared and retention was no longer justified by the remaining British Army presence.

Is there any paperwork you could share with us that might shed some light on that unit?

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Hi Peter, thanks for the additional info. I'm writing on behalf of the owner so will need to check what he has, and what he is happy to share.

Being built at the end of 1918 it shouldn't have seen any fighting, and I understand that it may have been used for towing trailers of provisions for horses; three wagons, three miles per day. I guess that it's role included other roles at other times. 

I note your location. By chance, the owner lives in New Buckenham so it is within your County.

Also as massive numbers of vehicles were decommissioned at the end of the war, ASC Siege Park companies became Vehicle Reception Parks (VRPs). There would have been a need for big traction power to lug broken machinery around.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Super looking machine. The WD certainly used products of Ruston Proctor who merged with Richard Hornsby in September 1918 to form Ruston and Hornsby. The badge on this machine says Ruston and Proctor but with a build date of December 1918 something seems wrong.

It is strange that it entered service in January 1919, which is a time when the WD were trying to sell off engines and return those from overseas back home. It seems unlikely (but not impossible) that it would have gone to both France and Egypt.

Steam traction engines were usually operated by either the ASC or the Royal Engineers (but not always as I have a picture of one with the RNAS), so although the story is that it was operated by the Linc it was probably operated by the ASC who might have been assigned a task for the Lincs. For what purpose would the infantry need a steam traction engine? All of the haulage work would have been undertaken by the ASC.

Anyway, a very interesting machine and I look forward to hearing more about it.   

On 10/09/2023 at 11:43, JohnnyBoy87654 said:

Thanks for the comments; I hadn't viewed the picture in the way you have but you are absolutely correct! The owner is passionate about the steam tractor, he and his wife view themselves as temporary custodians knowing that one day it will pass from their hands.

I had the same thoughts when I saw the photo and this is what you get courtesy of Photoshop.

David

b&w version.png