Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

08 Small pack

matthew lucas

Hi

Can I ask why would the small pack have the tabs at the back removed?

You can where they were but look yo have been carefully removed? Any official reasons for this?

Thanks

20230907_225051.jpg

20230907_225059.jpg

20230907_225119.jpg

The majority of surviving haversacks and packs that turn up today will have originated from army surplus dealers. In the case of Pattern 08 haversacks, the 2-inch web tabs and the 1-inch buckled chapes on the rear were often removed because in their repurposed civilian life they were simply in the way and no longer required - the haversack could be carried with just a shoulder brace attached to the 2-inch side buckles - surplus packs were carried using two 1-inch pack support straps and often the trailing part of the 2-inch rear web tabs was cut off. Growing up in the 1970’s, surplus Pattern 08 packs were ubiquitous at school and invariably defaced with indelible biro. As a collector of Pattern 1908 web equipment, my very first pack, acquired in the 1980’s, dated 1915 and in unblancoed and otherwise excellent condition, had been owned by a Led Zeppelin fan. 

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

Have the rear buckles also been removed? Getting the tabs replaced shouldn't be too difficult, if the buckles are missing then a little more effort is required.

Years ago I was given have a '37 pattern haversack repurposed with the tabs and buckles missing, dam shame really.

Dan

Richard Knight of Khaki on Campaign has repaired various webbing items for me including ‘08 Haversacks and I can recommend his services.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, appreciated

I echo Petes experiences of 1970’s school bags ‘artistically’ enhanced with a biro. Had my parents paid for my bag I doubt they would appreciated my artwork. However I had the fortune to live next door to a retired army quartermaster who appeared to have established his own stores in his back bedroom and garage. I was given a few packs, lots of thermal underwear and a large rubberised cape which kept me dry on my cycle ride to school for the remainder of my time there. 
Upon my neighbours death (in his ‘80s so possibly a WW1 veteran himself) his daughter kindly asked me if I’d like any more kit which I declined but I still remember the huge amount kit (including countless pairs of braces!) and not an item had been previously been worn, shirts in stacks still with paper between them.
Had I known then what I’ve learned since I think I’d have had the lot!

Simon

Hi Simon,

thats the way of life. For the Australian WW1 leather version of P08, often called 08/15. A lot was sold out of army war reserve in the late 1970s. My first trip to Melbourne in 1977, one of the disposal stores had a bay, about 6ft x 6ft with the 08/15 haversacks fitted with P08 shoulder straps, piled about 3ft high. They were $2 each. Being a student at the time I spent up big and bought one.  2 years latter I was back in Melbourne and went to the same disposals store, none left, but I did see school kids all over Melbourne using them as school bags.

Very few of these will have survived by now and of those that have, expect to see plenty of biro decoration. A nice undamaged example of those haversacks without a shoulder strap will generally sell for about AU$250 now.

Cheers

Ross