Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRUBHEM

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello, when I was looking at a map of Proven in connection with transport and storage I came across the name GRUBHEM. I think the triangle with a line through it means there was an ammunition depot? Can anyone tell me more about what might have been there?

Arne

GRUBHEM.PNG

Hi Arne, this map is in TrenchMapper and the legend is shown just north of Proven.  It looks more like a Supply railhead symbol to me.  Cheers, Bill

image.png.67fd5892b5d9f2bcb2661a477fea20f7.png

I agree, a Supply Railhead.

The CWGC say “Mendinghem, like Dozinghem and Bandaghem, were the popular names given by the troops to groups of casualty clearing stations posted to this area during the First World War.”

I vaguely remember a "Buryinghem" as well but cannot find the source.

For those not familiar with British humour, Bandaghem=Bandaging them, Mendinghem=Mending them etc. so Buryinghem would be a cemetery.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Bill is spot on. It was a Railhead.

The WD of 14 Corps A&QMG July/August 1917 mentions it in the "Q" Summaries, each time under Railhead. I was reading about 20 Div in 1917.

Courtesy TNA WO 95/914/4.

Brian

001.JPG

• 3 months later...
On 07/09/2023 at 17:18, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Hello, when I was looking at a map of Proven in connection with transport and storage I came across the name GRUBHEM. I think the triangle with a line through it means there was an ammunition depot? Can anyone tell me more about what might have been there?

Ah, I now see you have visted GRUBHEM before! :D

As recently discussed in your other more recent thread it might refer to the storage of food/rations or to a feeding point.  'Grub' being British slang for food.  But it seems you have had an earlier answer here on this subject.  I still think food was involved at GRUBHEM.

Amazingly GRUBHEM does not have any other reference to date on GWF even though BANDAGEM, MENDINGHEM and DOSINGHEM do make several appearances

I'm now wondering about STRAFFEHEM which appears nearby - an Ammunition railhead or dump?

M

The instances of Grubhem and Straffehem are certainly interesting and I'd agree that it seems odd they've not turned up on forum before.

A google search brings up results for both from Australian WWI Train diaries and 'The US Army in the world war'.

Untitled2.jpg.e7abbeb1df65442826d76d7e5d39b4e7.jpg

Untitled3.jpg.e57f1f00db37b433265d21540c069500.jpg

Forum searches bring up the DOSINGHEM, MENDINGHEM and BANDAGHEM  instances along with references to Needinghem. The latter actually comes from the Ministry of Pensions letter for the locations of CCSs. The letter is full of errors and it's probably a poor rendition of Mendinghem.

Untitled.jpg.2767685f6097711ca148260ff9ae3426.jpg

The Buryinghem mentioned by Howard seems to have been suggested by the US doctor Harvey Cushing who apparently may have come up with the Mendinghem etc. locations. 

For @Arne Vandendriessche

You said in the other topic;

Yes there was a munition depot at straffehem. The soldiers made it end on HEM to let the Germans think it is a village. 

I don't think this is the reason for the Straffenhem name. I'd say it's more of a humorous play on word sounds. The hem part sounds in English( or American) like 'em which is an abbreviation of them , so it should read Straffing them. Possible that the area was strafed frequently.

Incidentally, ham would be the English version of hem.

I wonder if there are any more .......hem place names?

TEW

Hello,

Thanks for the mentions of Straffeghem and Grubhem.
That may indeed be intended as a joke, but in West Flanders "hem" is a suffix of a place (e.g. Alveringhem).
And that's what they tell me in Proven.

Arne

Given that Grubhem was near a hospital I did initially wonder if it was connected with medical care i.e. delousing (but that would probably be Scrubem)

Brian

I've recently seen raton train movements to Grubhem.

I discovered that the original proposed joke name for the Proven CCS group was Endinghem. Too much gallows humour in that so it became Mendinghem.

Story as told by Dr. Harvey Cushing.

TEW