Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stockport census

6th Shropshires

Hi everyone

My Gran told me that her cousin William Mellor was reported killed and missing, she told me he came from Stockport, like herself. The C.W.G.C. told me that the only match in their records was Pte. William, Mellor, 14480, 11/Ches., K. in A. 3/7/16, aged 21, son of John & Jane Mellor of 34 Denton Street, who is on Theipval Memorial. But I have been unable to find a link with my Gran's family.

My Gran's mother was formely Alice Ann Mellor, who is recorded in 1901 census as living at 31 Brady Street Portwood, Stockport with father Moses-mother Mary and sister Mary. My problem is I can not find a link with a John Mellor. The thought as entered my head that I may have the wrong William Mellor :( .

I was hoping that someone who as got the 1891 census (or earlier census) for Stockport could look and see if any other family members are recorded, I am hoping Alice Anne had an older brother called John (Gran mentioned that there was a James Mellor but she could be getting mixed up with her uncle on her dad's side).

Any help would be greatfully recieved

Annette

1881 Census

Moses Mellor, b 1845, Stockport, cheshire

Mary Mellor, b1847, Offerton, Cheshire

John Samuel Mellor, b 1867, Stockport

Annie Mellor, b 1870, Stockport

Alice Ann Mellor, b 1878

Agnes Mellor, b 1879

35 King Street, Brinnington, Cheshire

1901 Census

John Mellor, 33, b Stockport

Jane Mellor, 35, b Rowton, Cheshire

Ernest Mellor, 16, b Stockport

Ethel Mellor, 12, b Stockport

Beatrice Mellor, 9, b Stockport

Jessie Mellor, 3, b Stockport

33 Yule Street, Stockport

No William, though. Sorry. There are other John Mellors but this is the only one whose age fits (33 in 1901, nearest are 46 & 16)

Steve

PS Might get chance to look again tomorrow. It's late.

Many Thanks Steve

Moses Mellor, b 1845, Stockport, cheshire

Mary Mellor, b1847, Offerton, Cheshire

John Samuel Mellor, b 1867, Stockport

Annie Mellor, b 1870, Stockport

Alice Ann Mellor, b 1878

Agnes Mellor, b 1879

This is great, now all I have to do is hopfully trace John Samuel to Pte. William, Mellor, 14480. My Gran also mentioned a Anty Agnes, also help work out when Moses married as there were two marrages for Moses Mellor one in 1877 and the other in 1866, so I can rule out the 1877 one.

I will have to see if I can find this John & Jane's marrage info. to see if he is my John Samuel Mellor.

If you do come across any more info. I would again be most greatfull.

Many thanks

Annette

There's a possible marriage between John MELLOR and Jane KIRKHAM in Q4/1888, Stockport. Vol 8a, Page 29.

Looks like the key to this is locating William in 1901, when he was aged about 6.

I wouldn't rule out Moses' second wedding. There is a Mary on the same page (Mary Clayton) December 1876, Vol 8a, Page 71, whereas the earlier one is to Sarah A Leighton (the only other one on the page, Dec 1866, Vol 8a, Page 31)

That says to me that he was married twice...

There are 2 Mary Claytons on the 1871 Census in Offerton, 1 age 26 and married, 1 aged 25 (born about 1846 which ties with the 1881 Census) and single. Both of these would, of course, be old enough to have a child in 1867 (John) but I think Mary is probably mother to just Alice and Agnes, especially considering the 8 year gap between Annie and Alice.

EDIT : The married one is still married in 1881 to the same man, so the single one is probably your Mary.

Never jump to conclusions in this game!

Steve

Annette

You may also want to have a nosy through www.cheshirebmd.org.uk.

The marriage section lists place of marriage which may help (or not!).

William was born in the parish of St Pauls Church which was in the Portwood area of town so there is a tie in with Brady Street.

Is this the chap that, aged ago, I looked to see if there was a newsaper report of his death ? There wasn't .

John

There's a possible marriage between John MELLOR and Jane KIRKHAM in Q4/1888, Stockport. Vol 8a, Page 29.

Hi Stephen

Yes the right names and about the time, I am going to get this marrage certificate to see if is the right John.

wouldn't rule out Moses' second wedding. There is a Mary on the same page (Mary Clayton) December 1876, Vol 8a, Page 71, whereas the earlier one is to Sarah A Leighton (the only other one on the page, Dec 1866, Vol 8a, Page 31)

Hi Steve

I agree that Moses could well of been married twice.

Is this the chap that, aged ago, I looked to see if there was a newsaper report of his death ?

Hi John

Yes this is same man you did look up for. I will look at www.cheshirebmd.org.uk.

Many thanks for your help Stephen, Steve and John

Hi John

I have just tried www.cheshirebmd.org.uk. What I good site and I am 99.9% sure I have found my gran's uncle. Under marragies there is a John S Mellor who married at St. Paul's, Portwood in 1888 to a Jane Peet ? this does not match the Jane KIRKHAM on the freeBMD site but a copy of the certificate will sort that out unless there were two John Mellors who married a Jane at Stockport in 1888 :lol:

Just got to track down William now.

Thanks again

Annette

www.cheshirebmd.org.uk as proofed very useful, as I have tracked down a William Mellor born at Heaton Norris in 1895, also found out that John Samuel Mellor was born at Heaton Norris (1867). I see from the map that Heaton Norris is not far from Cheadle which tries in with the marrige of Moses and Sarah, also noticed that Portwood, Brinnington and Heaton Norris are not far from each other.

All I need now, like Stephen suggests is to find William aged 6 on 1901.

Steve not sure about this family ? William could have staying at a friends but what makes me think this is not correct family is that Ernest would have been born two years before his parents marriage if this is the John & Jane married in 1888 ? unless they had a bit on the side before marriage :lol:

Well I can not go on untill I get John & Janes marriage certificate and William's birth certificate.

Again thanks to all that helped

Annette

I found Moses and family in the 1891 census. The image is very faint but they are in Brinnington. Mary is also there at this time.

Still no sign of William in 1901, though.

Thanks Stephen

I have not yet got around to sending for John & Jane Mellor's marriage certificate or William's birth certificate which may help or not find them on 1901 census.

Thanks Again

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

Hi everyone

My Gran told me that her cousin William Mellor was reported killed and missing, she told me he came from Stockport, like herself. The C.W.G.C. told me that the only match in their records was Pte. William, Mellor, 14480, 11/Ches., K. in A. 3/7/16, aged 21, son of John & Jane Mellor of 34 Denton Street, who is on Theipval Memorial. But I have been unable to find a link with my Gran's family.

My Gran's mother was formely Alice Ann Mellor, who is recorded in 1901 census as living at 31 Brady Street Portwood, Stockport with father Moses-mother Mary and sister Mary. My problem is I can not find a link with a John Mellor. The thought as entered my head that I may have the wrong William Mellor :( .

I was hoping that someone who as got the 1891 census (or earlier census) for Stockport could look and see if any other family members are recorded, I am hoping Alice Anne had an older brother called John (Gran mentioned that there was a James Mellor but she could be getting mixed up with her uncle on her dad's side).

hi,there is a william h,mellor from my home town who was killed in the war,there are also two others called william,one was born in heaton norris,stockport,there is also a child called alice plus quite a few other mellors,some with heaton norris conections,stockport is only a mile away from where i live[levenshulme],i typed in mellor levenshulme on the 1901 census,they may not be your ones but you never know,good luck,bernard

Any help would be greatfully recieved

Annette

???????? :unsure:

Annette

It looks as though Steve is correct about Moses Mellor being married twice. This looks like him on the 1871 census - though surname transcribed as Melin.

RG10/3665/127

Brinnington, Stockport, Cheshire

Moses Melin, Head, Mar, 26, Joiner, Cheshire Stockport

Sarah A Melin, Wife, Mar, 26, Weaver Cotton, Cheshire Stockport

John S Leighton, Son, 4, Scholar, Cheshire Stockport

Annie Mellor,Daur, 1, Cheshire Stockport

The misspellings are on the original census enumerator's book and are not modern indexing errors. However Sarah would appear to be the Sarah A Leighton in the first of the Steve's marriage references. This would tie in with John S being listed as John S Leighton - perhaps this was an additional middle name which the enumerator has mistaken for his surname.

There is a death certificate reference listed in Stockport for Sarah Ann Mellor in Dec 1872 - though also a number of 'plain' Sarah Mellors before 1875 which might be her.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for info. from 1871 census. With the help of all the people in this thread and useing www.cheshirebmd.org.uk , I have managed to put a time line together. Looks like John Samuel Leighton was born out of marriage. I do not know if Moses is his father but Moses married Sarah in the same year as John's birth (still have not got certificates for full dates), did he marry her because he was the father or just felt sorry for a single mother ? John must have had his name changed to Mellor after 1871 census ? but his marriage certificate also as him as Leighton according to www.cheshirebmd.org.uk (again will have to get certificate to know this for sure), so William, John's son may not be a full blooden cousin to my Gran after all but who cares she also know him as her cousin, I thought he was too good liking to be related.

Thanks again

Annette

P.S. Does Heaton Norris come under St. Paul's? just trying to narrow down which William Mellor in www.cheshirebmd.org.uk is the one I am looking for.

P.S. Does Heaton Norris come under St. Paul's? just trying to narrow down which William Mellor in www.cheshirebmd.org.uk is the one I am looking for.

Annette

Very probably. If I can explain the geography and local councils for you......

The River Mersey is the historic boundary between Cheshire and Lancashire. St Paul's was in Brinnington, south of the river in Stockport. North of the river is Heaton Norris which was a separate Urban District Council. No doubt the parish boundaries will have crossed the river.

St Paul's Church was demolished years ago. For info, part of consecrated ground now lies within a damn big roundabout at an exit from the M60 (for folk knowing the area - I mean the roundabout near the new Tesco). One of my researchees might be buried there - there are about 8 WW1 guys buried in the graveyard (which has now been flattened and grassed over).

Thanks John

I have been looking at map of Stockport on-line. Its no wonder I could not see St. Paul's seeing that it's been knocked down, I found the roundabout thou, and could see that Heaton Norris was not far from Portwood. By the way I could not find Brady St., is it still there ? also if you do not mind me asking, how far is it (or was it) from New Zealand Road and Newbride Lane, the Hewitts lived in the former and my Gran may have been born in latter ?.

Again Thanks

Annette

Annette

There's an 1882 map of Stockport available to view online at www.old-maps.co.uk. If you click on "Enlarged View" you'll get a decent size image which you can scroll around. Not all street names are shown on these maps but churches usually are so you may be in luck.

Annette

Apologies for not responding sooner - I must have missed your post.

Suggest you have a look at an on-line modern map site - like mappy.co.uk.

You'll see that Newbridge Lane, New Zealand Road and Brady Street all still exist and are close together. If you also find St Paul's Street, then the Church occupied the land immediately to the West, with the churchyard extending to where the roundabout now is.

There has been a lot of development in that part of town since WW2, but if you need any photos you only to have to ask.

John

Thanks Stephen & John

I will look at www.old-maps.co.uk, I had found Newbridge Lane and New Zealand Road on a modern map but failed to find Brady Street.

John - Thanks for the offer of photos, I would be very greatful, It's a shame my gran passed away a few months ago, she would have been very interested to see photos of where she grow up.

Many Thanks

Annette

Annette

1891 Census

9, Chapel Sreet, Stockport

John Mellor (Head), aged 24 years, born Stockport

Jane Mellor (Wife), aged 24 years, born Ormskirk

Fred Mellor (Son), aged 2 years, born Stockport

1901 Census

6, Denton Street, Stockport

John Samuel Leighton (Head), aged 34 years, born Stockport

Jane Leighton (Wife), aged 34 years, born Ormskirk

Fred Leighton (Son), aged 11 years, born Stockport

Annie Leighton (Dau), aged 9 years, born Stockport

William Leighton (Son), aged 7 years, born Stockport

Alice Leighton (Dau), aged 2 years, born Stockport

Ethel Heywood (Niece), aged 17 years, born Stockport

Looks like the same family to me and that John Samuel Mellor went back to John Samuel Leighton for the 1901 Census.

Also FRee BMD has the marriage in June Qtr of 1888 in Stockport of:

John Samuel LEIGHTON and Sarah Peet

I think you mentioned John Samuel MELLOR and Sarah Peet per Cheshire BMD.

Obviously there was some confusion as to which surname to use.

Regards

Pam

Annette

If you let me know whioch addresses you want photos of, I'll have a nosy and see what's still there - although I suspect most of it is now the car park for PC World, Courts, etc.

John

Wow that is great stuff Pam, explains why I could not find William Mellor in 1901 census. Wonder why John swopped between the two names :ph34r:

Also with marries on Cheshire BMD, there is also John Samuel Mellor married to Jane Peet ? I must get his marriage certificate to find out correct details.

Many Thanks

Annette