Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Renaming first world war medals - a very contentious subject

Clive ex RAF plumber

I recently purchased a first world war Military Cross to a scout pilot with a wealth of original documentation i.e. personal handwritten diaries of his detailing missions flown and his thoughts at the time, General Rawlinson's congratulatory message on award of the MC, handwritten training notes he wrote whilst being taught to fly etc (other documentation to numerous to list).  The pilot in question was also entitled to a British War Medal and Victory Medal which sadly for me he didn't claim.  Now my dilemma, within my collection I have a blank BWM and Victory Medal obtained from an extremely reputable medal dealer many years ago, I believe he obtained the blanks from India or Pakistan, should I have these named to the pilot not with a view to making money because I would never sell the medals but so his name and deeds live on in history.  If I do decide on this course of action does anyone know where I could have the work carried out,  there are numerous companies which can engrave the medals but I would like them named as they would have been at the time of issue i.e. impressed.  As I said in the title a very contentious issue but I am not doing this to deceive and I would never have a persons name erased from a medal. Many thanks Clive     

Dear Clive,

I sympathise, and had a similar dilemma on my hands some years ago. 

From what you wrote it seems that you have an un-named MC with Pilot-related documents, plus blank BWM and VM.  If mounted, one would have quasi three "blanks". 

My situation was somewhat different, having the recipient's impressed 15 Star and engraved Indian Volunteer Officers' Decoration. I researched his Life and ascertained that his BWM, VM (MiD), and 1935 Jubilee had Gone Walkabout. I therefore added these ("blank") and had the group swing-mounted. Voila!

CaptB.C.CovellVDgroup.jpg.1f4a9502cf55ffa0881923657d22b952.jpgI would personally suggest having your BWM and VM correctly impressed - which agrees with your plan. Unfortunately I do not know who would do this best...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

If he did not claim his other medals his „group“ is complete, if you must display the war medals with his MC leave them blank. Even if you do not sell them, at some point someone will dispose of them and the new recipient will end up with „forgeries“.

Charlie

My mantra is never to have medals named/renamed. If for a display there are plenty of medals out there to use and when looking at the display you would never know the difference. To add named medals to a group does not add to the man's memorial and will add confusion when the medals eventually move on to another custodian.

Thank you all so much for your comments it does help to get someone else's perspective on the subject.  He was also entitled to a Defence Medal and War Medal for the 2nd World War but that's easily resolved as they were issued unnamed.  From the comments received I believe my best course of action would be to display the blank BWM / VM with his MC as well as a Defence Medal and War Medal and make a note on the display that although entitled to these medals he never claimed them, then everything is historically correct.  If anyone is interested the gentleman's name is Roy Charles Crowden of 54 Squadron (stage name Roy Royston).  Many thanks for the comments and enabling me to see a good solution to the dilemma.  

Excellent compromise. His citation is under his entry on Wiki and for the record (for the rest of us) reads :- "T./2nd Lt. Roy Charles Crowden, Gen. List and R.F.C. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations. Observing a column of enemy troops marching along a road, he descended to a very low altitude, bombed them, and threw the column into complete confusion. Later on the same day, he attacked and caused heavy casualties to enemy infantry who were advancing across country. On another occasion he attacked one of six enemy scouts and destroyed it. He showed great determination and a splendid offensive spirit". During the Second World War Royston again reverted to the name of Crowden and served in the Balloon Branch of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. On 1 March 1942 he was promoted from Flying Officer to temporary Flight Lieutenant.

Thank you all so much for your comments it does help to get someone else's perspective on the subject.  He was also entitled to a Defence Medal and War Medal for the 2nd World War but that's easily resolved as they were issued unnamed.  From the comments received I believe my best course of action would be to display the blank BWM / VM with his MC as well as a Defence Medal and War Medal and make a note on the display that although entitled to these medals he never claimed them, then everything is historically correct.  If anyone is interested the gentleman's name is Roy Charles Crowden of 54 Squadron (stage name Roy Royston).  Many thanks for the comments and enabling me to see a good solution to the dilemma.  

I don't know how true this is but amongst the paperwork was a note saying he was one of the youngest recipients of the Military Cross is there anyone who can shed any light on this?

The action for which he was awarded the Military Cross took place towards the end of March 1918 during the German Spring Offensive according to his diary and Ralph Barker's book 'The Royal Flying Corps in France from bloody April 1917 to final victory' (he has numerous mentions in this book), so he was 18 at that time so I suppose he possibly could be one of the youngest recipients.