Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Redan Ridge November 1916

andrew pugh

Good Evening All

I have just finished reading a book called the Redan Ridge; The Last Stand. It's about the 16th HLI and the 11th Battalion Borderers who were cut off in Munich trench on the 18th November 1916. Brilliant book, quite a short read. The question I would like to ask is what is the precise location of the 2 German dugouts in Munich trench where they were trapped. Hope someone can help.

Kind Regards

Andy 

The November 1916 War Diaries of 97 Infantry Brigade and 32 Div HQ GS have lots of information. You should find what you are looking for. The Div papers include very detailed reports in the WD and attached narratives.

Sketch map from the WD of 97 IB. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2399

1:5 000 map Redan from the WD of 32 Div HQ GS. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2368

Brian

97IB 2399.jpg

32 2368.jpg

This might help …German trench map of the Ridge. The green circle next to Lager Alley is the location of the German Brigade HQ. Today it’s location is the top of Waggon Road at the junction with path to Munich Trench Cemetery,with another track off to the right.Scan from original ..ZilIMG_3455.jpeg.fcb1625921a9981c6e3036d60232ce6d.jpeg

According to the Narrative of Operations 18/11/1916 in the WD of 32 Div HQ the party were in Q 6 b 0 7.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2368

EDIT And a few pages further on is 97 IB Order no 94 dated 21/11/1916 which gives the position as Q 6 b 10 55.

32 2368.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Hi Zil and Brian

Thank you both for the information you have given. It helps to understand where the actual situation took place. Thank you both.

Kind Regards

Andy

11 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Zil and Brian

Thank you both for the information you have given. It helps to understand where the actual situation took place. Thank you both.

Kind Regards

Andy

Andy

Does the book say what happened to these men. I am reading through the WDs where they are described as the marooned party. A rescue attempt by 16 Lancashire Fusiliers of 96 IB on 23/11 was not successful and cost many casualties. There seems to have been no further attempt. I presume that they were either killed or captured.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Hi Brian, sorry about the late reply.

According to the book it say's on the 25th November the patience of the Germans finally ran out and stormed the position from all directions. Only after hearing the cries for mercy from the eight German prisoners captured in a previous attack did the Germans stop their ferocious assault. The last stand was over.

Of the one hundred and twenty or so who started off eight day's earlier only 15 unwounded staggered out from the trench dazed and in a state of shock and taken prisoner. Keen to come face to face with his opponents the German Brigadier surveyed the men stood before him. In astonishment he said, Is this what held up the brigade for more than a week.

If your interested in the this action the Redan Ridge I would suggest looking at the German records for that period.

Kind Regards

Andy