Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Periscopes

CROONAERT

I was wondering if anyone could identify a periscope that's been in my possession for years. Please see the photo's.

(Both ends twist to protect the lenses and the central band incorporates a metal "loop" of some sort.It's made of steel with brass "end caps" and is approx. 43cm in length. One end is stamped "REVLUC LONDON" and the other "C.CULVER LTD. (WD arrow) REVLUC LONDON, No.4 MARK I, 1144")

Any idea of it's usage (it's been suggested that it was used by TM batteries, but I'm unsure) and age?

Thanks,

Dave.

post-8-1056145424.jpg

...and the stamping on one end...

post-8-1056145634.jpg

Dave,

The world of Great War periscopes saw at least 31 numbers made in variuos marks.

The Periscope you have is the No. 4, MkI. It was specifically designed for the 2" mortar. The MKI should have three lenses with a prism that gives a magnification of X1.5 and a 20 degree field of view. There was also the No 4 MkII which was much longer with 4 lenses.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe.

I omitted to mention that the view is slightly magnified (with an arrow pointing to the centre).1.5 magnification seems about right.

Just a few more questions ,if I may.....I take it that the 2in. mortar is the "toffee apple" one? ..Does this date the No.4 Mk1 as to the 1915/16 period?..What's the metal "loop" for?...and finally...Do you (or anyone ,for that matter)have any photos of this type of periscope actually in use?

Sorry for the extra questions, but this periscope is something I've had since I was a small boy and I've recently re-discovered it (after clearing out the attic). I knew nothing about it previously.

Thanks again,

Dave.

I have a periscope number 9 mark 11. A flimsy affair made of wood and put together with nails. Can anyone enlighten me on why such a fragile thing was designed for the somewhat less fragile enviroment of a front line trench ?

Many thanks

My word, I have a stripe. Celebrations are called for. Wife, fetch me a beer !!

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

This is a photo of the periscope in action. Unfortunately only in a museum and being crewed by author Stephen Bull.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for that,Joe. You know, I've had the Brassey's WW1 British Army book since it's publication, seen this photo countless times and never paid any attention to what it is that Mr.Bull's looking through!

Thanks again for pointing it out to me.

Dave.