Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help locating two places in the Kemmel Hill area.

EvgenyS

Maybe somenone could help with a few of the locations from "Soldier's diary". I can't find them using the 237 F Coy WD. Time is August 1918. It may also be named differently on the maps, as with the "Merryway/Milky way" road.

County Camp [It's the right bridage's sector, so must be to the right from the Milky Way area]

Ferret Farm [There's only Fermoy Farm and Fairy House in that area, no other hints at the location available.]

If this account is accurate, then the Merryway attack was between 7th and 11th August 1918. It says "During the lull Cox died in my arms"

There are just 3 soldiers named Cox who died in that period. (CWGC website)

COX    GEORGE BURFORD    G B    0        08/08/1918        Private    Royal Warwickshire Regiment        1st Bn.
COX    HERBERT ERNEST    H E    19        08/08/1918        Private    Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)        7th Bn.
COX    PERCY    P    0        11/08/1918        Private    Dorsetshire Regiment        1st Bn.

A look at those War Diaries would yield valuable information.

However, the lack of known detail in the book, the second map of this version of the work and its general tone leads me to wonder if the whole thing is an impression rather than actual reporting of what went on.

Howard

The map from 41 Div HQ GS that I posted on your first thread shows Ferns Camp in N 7 a to the north west of La Clytte but on some 1918 NLS maps it is shown as Ferry or Ferrx Camp. The diary names sound like nicknames.

Brian

It's true that many (but not all) names of places and people in the diary seem to be nicknames or probably blurred in the author's memory and require digging deeper to locate. The 237 WD mentions their works at the 'Fermoy Farm' at that period, which can be located on the map and I believe it can well be the 'Ferret farm'. So far I've found no info helpful to identfy 'County Camp'.