Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Tiger at Jutland 1916

chasman

I have read various reports regarding how HMS Tiger was involved in the Battle of Jutland. Is it true she was hit no fewer than 17-times? Does anyone have an ancestor who was on the Tiger at Jutland? 

Hi Chasman

The "Narrative of the Battle of Jutland" HMSO 1924 reports HMS Tiger received "about 10 hits from large projectiles" 

The Naval Offical History vol III has a table of all hits - large and small projectiles  - and lists Tiger as hit by 10 large, nil small.  Repairs were complete by 2nd July 1916

There is a crew list:  https://battleofjutlandcrewlists.miraheze.org/wiki/HMS_Tiger_Crew_List

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly
additional info

Campbell carried out a detailed analysis in his book - Jutland - an analysis of the fighting.

Tiger fired 303 rounds from her 13.5" guns and 136 rounds from her 6". Only three hits by the 13.5" on German battlecruisers. Two turrets were put out of action on Von der Tann by them and a damaging near miss on Moltke. Her gunnery overall was poor at both Dogger Bank and Jutland.

Campbell identified 15 hits by 28cm guns - mostly by Moltke, but a couple by Seydlitz. There were also probably a handful of unimportant 15cm hits from the German battlecruisers. However, despite damage to turrets, no vital damage was done.

For a detailed account of the fighting, Campbell's analysis is exhaustive, but no analysis is infallible!

Edited by The Treasurer

Just a gentle reminder that the 1924 narrative of the battle ‘ain’t necessarily so’, therefore I’d recommend reading a variety of other accounts of the battle too.

That said, Tiger clearly took multiple 11” hits from Moltke, but fortunately the damage wasn’t critical.

MB

A picture of the original WW1 trio awarded to Frederick Henry Bowry, who served in the RN from 1913 to 1928. Fred was a crew member of 'HMS Tiger' at Jutland in 1916, being just 18-years old at the time. Fred was born in West Ham and spent most of his life (outside of his service) in the Essex/East London areas, he worked as a fitter on the railways. Later in life he retired to Torquay, where he died in 1981, aged 83. He was very proud of his medals and he encased them in a nice velvet lined box. I actually purchased them from a museum in Torquay.

fred 1000 (2).jpg

'HMS TIGER AT BAY -  A Sailor's Memoir 1914-18' published William Kimber 1977 is the memoir of Victor Hayward who served on HMS Tiger at Jutland. the chapter on the battle covers 55 pages. ISBN 0 7I83 0295 8 Refers.