Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMT King Edward, (not Royal Edward)

Alan24

I've been reading about a lad from 2nd Hampshires who landed at Suvla Bay on or just after 6th Aug 1915 disembarking from HMT King Edward which was torpedoed 2 hours later which other men from the 2nd Hants still on board.

I can find nothing about this ship, all searches return HMT Royal Edward which I know was sunk on 13th Aug off Mourdros. 

Surely this can't be the same ship?

HMS King Edward VII was torpedo in 1916.

The extract below was published 30 Oct 1915...maybe a slight bit of censorship going on?

part 1.JPG

Edited by Alan24

It seems the 2/Hants did not disembark at Suvla until early on 21 August after embarking at 'V' Beach the previous day. Before that they were deployed in at Fusilier Bluff and Gully Ravine.

15 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

It seems the 2/Hants did not disembark at Suvla until early on 21 August after embarking at 'V' Beach the previous day. Before that they were deployed in at Fusilier Bluff and Gully Ravine.

Thanks for that. I've been trying to unpick the timeline. Does the above tie up with the next bit of the newspaper report?

A separate source on this lad states we was wounded by Turkish bullets on 6th Aug, which seems too early for me.

part 1.JPG

I cannot match the 'puff' of this newspaper narrative with no dates to the reality of 2/Hants movements and battles.

On 6 August 2/Hants attacked Turkish trenches near Gully Ravine, taking hundreds of casualties.

I would not rely on such newspaper reports for accurate reporting. Your principal source should be the Official History and war diaries.

Edited by horatio2

23 hours ago, horatio2 said:

I cannot match the 'puff' of this newspaper narrative with no dates to the reality of 2/Hants movements and battles.

Thanks, that's sort of where I got with my limited knowledge of the campaign.