Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need help tracing a RAF Officers Medal Card

MasterMate

Hello All

I am new to this this site and I am trying to get hold of a Medal Card for an Officer in the RAF in WW1 who was a 2nd Lieutenant

I can find some of his info on the National Archives Website and Obviously his Service Record is a trip to Kew or and expensive paid research option via NA but I can not find his medal card any ideas

I am on Ancestry but they don't show on there so I am thinking it is because he is a 2nd Lieutenant so maybe stored separately in the Officers section?

Any help would be greatly received

Thanks 

Green

Arnold Cadman Clinton looks rather special ex RFC shot down twice was an Observer then became RAF left in 1919 then rejoined in 1921 and became part of the Aeroplane Experimental Establishment most his stuff is sat behind a 100 year rule so limited info but I want to see his card as I have his medals

He was an Aeronautical Engineer right up to the 1950's

Edited by MasterMate
Extra info

• Admin

His officer service file is at TNA - either visit or get an independent researcher to copy it for you - don't ask the archives themselves, cost would be prohibitive 2/Lieutenant Arnold Cadman CLINTON General List. | The National Archives

RAF service record here free once registered Name Clinton, Arnold Cadman Date of Birth: 21 September 1896 | The National Archives His RAF record looks to be 1920s so no medals associated with that.

But so far, like you, I have been unable to find MIC for him....

Hopefully someone else will have better luck.

Thanks David

Yes I think you are right about getting someone to copy them for me but I have quite a lot of still on him at the minute and have that 1896 record which is quite nice as it state he is a very important person not to be mobilised if required in the future which I thought was quite funny but obviously whatever he was doing much have been essential

These Medal cards are always tricky to find when they are an Officer but he is mentioned for various promotions in the London Gazette

I did have some missions he went went on notes from a few pages someone has copied from an article called 'The Weston Front' but I don't know if that is a book or a Newspaper?

• Admin

There are many researchers available - the TNA have a list or search the forum,  personally I use Lee Richards Archive Research (arcre.com).

Officers generally had to apply for their medals, if they didn't apply then there is no MIC.  What is inscribed on the rims as this may help track the record down?

I don't know if it would be worth getting the service record yet as he was obviously doing work on the pre world war 2 planes so a lot of this will be behind the 100 year rule or still classified I presume

• Admin
18 minutes ago, MasterMate said:

I don't know if it would be worth getting the service record yet as he was obviously doing work on the pre world war 2 planes so a lot of this will be behind the 100 year rule or still classified I presume

The service record will be ww1 only. The fact that it is available indicates it is pre-1920 only. It will have been weeded but I suspect the lot will likely cost less than you think (files I have had done were less than £10). Don't expect details of flights etc.

Thanks David that's good to know I have a bit of info on his flights but I don't know what this The Western Front book or newspaper is from that details it all any ideas?

Yes I saw that one the problem is you put in the western front in google and you get loads of possible options ha ha 

Thank you again for the help