Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can someone translate chinese?

Arne Vandendriessche

Hello,

These photos were taken by a local photographer from Poperinge during WW1. These photos are of men from the Chinese labor corps. To be honest, I'm curious what the translation is of the Chinese text on the chalkboards. I hope someone can translate them?

Arne

Picture 1

Knipsel.PNG

Picture 2

CLC 2.PNG

Picture 3 (I can read the number 16673, maby service number?)

CLC.PNG

Edited by Arne Vandendriessche

The first one might be their names. There are 7 columns (Chinese is written vertically) and 7 men. I cut the photo to show just the Chinese characters and put it into Google Translate, it comes back with some quite random words but the consistent thing is surnames.

I can't help I'm afraid. But the second photo, at least, is well known. I thnk Dominiek Dendooven at In Flanders Field Museum, has an authoritative translation.

1 hour ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Thank you, 

Maby @Gregory can help? He helped me in another post about the CLC.

Arne

Arne. A friend of mine is a language teacher and is currently in Taiwan so seven hours ahead but I can send her the pics and ask if she would translate for you...probably get the answer tomorrow.

Gunner...

Edited by Gunner 87

No problem, Gregory, Thanks

14 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Arne. A friend of mine is a language teacher and is currently in Taiwan so seven hours ahead but I can send her the pics and ask if she would translate for you...probably get the answer tomorrow.

Gunner...

That would be amazing, Gunner. Thank you 

3 minutes ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

Sent Arne.... will update the thread if she can assist. 

2 hours ago, Arne Vandendriessche said:

No problem, Gregory, Thanks

Hi Arne.

The first photo shows all the names, written downwards, for these seven men.

In the second image, the first row and part of the second read, 'Taken at the border between France and Belgium'  The next two characters are not discernible. Then it appears the number 18693 then three characters below the number could be his name, we wait on that. And the year 1917. 

The third is 'Rui Ting Hang' That is likely a store name because the third character means 'shop'. In the old days, lots of shops, particularly dealt with foreign imports and exports, would be called 'Hang'.

Gunner

Edited by Gunner 87