Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sanitation and Discipline when away from trenches

fumblina

I've been reading the 6th Div Adjutant War diary and it includes at the Routine Order documents which look like a modern-day newsletter or meeting minutes.  There are a whole series of snippets about foot and boot care with instructions for using first Vaseline, then whale Oil and finally fish oil (all within a single month) for waterproofing both feet and boots, presumably due to trouble with supply.  Lots of cafes being out of bounds for selling spirits, lost horses.  

But this extract caught my eye as being very instructive for people like me who wondered what exactly the people they are researching would have been doing in camp - apart from bathing which is often the only thing mentioned where there are no work parties or parades.  How long a day would they spend parading anyway??  Anyway - Idle hands and all!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_1585_0-00394?usePUB=true&_phsrc=wAX7836&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=448226image.png.b2728f28fa42f1c29de2986de2b5904d.png