Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

72162 Bombardier Arthur Jarman RFA

Tommy

Hello,

I have posted about my great great uncle before, and after contacting the medal office and sending proof his medals were returned after the war, that have very kindly agreed to recast his 14 star trio and send them to me so I can finally unite them with his memorial plaque. I now have the exciting task of framing them (when they arrive) and I was just wondering what I could frame with them, would he have had any trade badges or insignia on his uniform that I could add? I have attached the only picture we have of him and I have a the badge on his helmet which I’m planning on using but if you could guide me with what he would have had on his everyday uniform rather then dress uniform, I would be very appreciative.

Tom 

7AB0CE71-BA38-4DF5-80FB-A916624119CB.jpeg

Hi,

Well done on getting his Campaign Medals.

Forum member @FROGSMILEwill be able to give you full chapter and verse on the uniform he is wearing in the picture you have posted.

Steve

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Hello,

I have posted about my great great uncle before, and after contacting the medal office and sending proof his medals were returned after the war, that have very kindly agreed to recast his 14 star trio and send them to me so I can finally unite them with his memorial plaque. I now have the exciting task of framing them (when they arrive) and I was just wondering what I could frame with them, would he have had any trade badges or insignia on his uniform that I could add? I have attached the only picture we have of him and I have a the badge on his helmet which I’m planning on using but if you could guide me with what he would have had on his everyday uniform rather then dress uniform, I would be very appreciative.

Tom 

7AB0CE71-BA38-4DF5-80FB-A916624119CB.jpeg

He’s wearing a pre WW1 undress frock with overalls, boots and spurs so is definitely RFA.  The frock more commonly had 5-buttons, but just as with infantry there was a 7-button version too.  This was not used as a full dress garment at home, where a much finer cloth was used and 9-buttons.

However, for practical reasons the frock was used in lieu of full dress tunic overseas.  The colours of the uniform can be seen below.  If he had any badges they would have been on the left lower sleeve as shown, but I cannot see any, so he might not yet have earned them. 

IMG_9429.jpeg

IMG_9430.jpeg

IMG_9434.jpeg

IMG_9433.jpeg

IMG_9431.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Here is an example of a left sleeve with typical badges commonly seen on NCO’s prewar frock, in this case a Bombardier.  Bombardier was the first paid and substantive step (rank) above gunner.

However, the red backing to the badges other than stripes is an idiosyncrasy and not regulation.

IMG_2008.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for that, very interesting. I’ve searched for his war records as it were but I can’t seem to find them, so I’m guessing they never survived the blitz but I believe he was in the Territorials before the war and not a regular. I just wondered if that would be on any of the badges that he wore as I’ve seen different artillery badge with different TF names on. Or should I just plump for a stand ww1 royal artillery cap badge? 

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Thank you for that, very interesting. I’ve searched for his war records as it were but I can’t seem to find them, so I’m guessing they never survived the blitz but I believe he was in the Territorials before the war and not a regular. I just wondered if that would be on any of the badges that he wore as I’ve seen different artillery badge with different TF names on. Or should I just plump for a stand ww1 royal artillery cap badge? 

Yes before the war the TF RA cap badge had a Laurel sprig on the top scroll rather than UBIQUE.  They also had their own shoulder titles on service dress.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So for the purposes of putting a cap badge with his medals the attached would be accurate?

DE91E808-1BAF-4D53-9173-B8ACDE5668DA.png

No, I just explained that there was an inscribed laurel leaf sprig in place of the words UBIQUE.

IMG_9436.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ohhh I see thank you, I’ll see if I can track one down. I have the attached badge which I plan to frame with them as well 

2016FD71-47EA-42C5-BA1B-DAB623D9FDC8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ohhh I see thank you, I’ll see if I can track one down. I have the attached badge which I plan to frame with them as well 

2016FD71-47EA-42C5-BA1B-DAB623D9FDC8.jpeg

That’s a regular army plate I’m afraid.

24 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Could you show me what the badge would look like from the picture please?

Like this one, again Laurel sprig in lieu UBIQUE.

IMG_9437.jpeg