Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Uniform and Regiment Please

DebraB

UnknownUnit.JPG.75fe2786a7dc41c5fa04d22b7f361a23.JPG

Can anyone please identify what uniform and regiment the above soldier is wearing. I think he was a Sergeant. He was born in Staffordshire and lived in Warwickshire. I had thought Army Service Corp but the cap badge doesn't look right. By trade before the war he was an engineer.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Debra

Royal Field Artillery. 

Welcome to the Forum.

If you would like to give us a name we could see what more we can find about him? 

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Thanks for your response Charlie. Greatly appreciated.

His name was Thomas Henry Russell. I have checked for service records but they do not appear to have survived.

He is not the one with Regimental Number 6623, 30829 of the South Staffordshire Regiment, Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire) Regiment.

He was born in Wolverhampton 1872. In 1911 he was a Blacksmith. Hence my thinking he may have been Army Service Corps of some kind.

He appears to have a badge/patch above his stripes, I wonder if this is related to his pre war trade (farrier etc).

Simon

3 hours ago, mancpal said:

He appears to have a badge/patch above his stripes

Perhaps these? My mark 1 eyeball is giving me these vibes.

image.jpeg.fc2369124052406ec0f4906711c20c36.jpeg

Zidane.

Thank you everyone. I have tried to enhance the image to see if it gives more clarity, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing.

Does that make it any clearer?

Unknown Unit4.JPG

I tried to enhance on my phone by using a few filters.

IMG_20230829_152852.jpg.d2299eba9b22318bf8fde7c16a602b2e.jpg

Your welcome. I might be able to make it better but I'll have to wait awhile.. waiting for a bus from school.

'm damned surprised no one said yet.

He's a Sergeant, and as stated, a member of the Artillery.

Zidane.

6 hours ago, DebraB said:

He was born in Wolverhampton 1872. In 1911 he was a Blacksmith. Hence my thinking he may have been Army Service Corps of some kind.

Did he survive the war? Did he marry or have children during the war ? Certificates sometimes give details of rank or unit.

Charlie, thanks for your response. He did survive the war. He died in 1922. He married in 1897. All of his children were born before the war started.

Thanks for the confirmation Zidane.

Thanks Simon for the clue of the arm badge and your mark 1 eyeball.

Given his age and married plus children he may not have served overseas.

I see he is on the 1911 and 1921 census for Coventry with wife Alice and several children.

I see also his eldest son Lawrence joined the Royal Field Artillery Territorials in 1914 and was Mentioned in Despatches. 

His service file and discharge papers survive but apart from giving Thomas as his nok father there were no other clues I could see for Thomas.

• Admin

I think the trade badges are skilled driver proficiency. As the badge of the artillery was the same for Field and Horse, I don’t think I can say whether he is RHA or RFA

• Admin

There’s quite a few MIC for Thomas H Russell in the Artillery on Ancestry. 

• Admin

Looking at the photo, he might be wearing the reinforced boot which indicates a driver. Hopefully @FROGSMILE will see this. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Looking at the photo, he might be wearing the reinforced boot which indicates a driver. Hopefully @FROGSMILE will see this. 

Not the leg guard in this particular case, but Stohwasser gaiters with spiral strap.

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

If he'd been RHA he'd probably have ball buttons but he hasn't so I 'plumped' for RFA.

Yes I think you’re right charlie.