Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

420 Siege Battery, RGA in Palestine 1917

WarHistory

Hello folks. My first post in this forum. I am a former war correspondent (Kosovo, Afghanistan), now a staff writer with Canada's most read military history magazine, based in Ottawa, and I'm writing a memoir on my great uncle, a Canadian who served on secondment with 420 Siege Battery, RGA, in Egypt, Gaza and Palestine in 1917-18. I have a great photo album he put together of his travels. I'm looking for two things: 1/ Whatever info I can find (there's very little online) about 420 and 2/ an explanation for some of the entries in his attached service record. On the latter, he was promoted to major and it seems to state that he was appointed O/C of 420. Am I misinterpreting that?

Thank you,

Stephen

harvey1x.png

Oh my goodness, that's him! So he was the O/C! I will look up the war diary. Thank you so much, David. You've helped me immeasurably.

• Admin

Most welcome - that is what the forum is all about.

The diary for Aug - Dec 1917 hasn't been digitised yet but if you contact an independent researcher here in the UK they should be able to copy it for you at a reasonable cost Corps Troops: 102 Brigade Battery Royal Garrison Artillery (1917 Aug - 1918 Dec). 189... | The National Archives likewise Jan - April 1918 General headquarters troops: 32 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery (1916 Jan - Mar). 61... | The National Archives

• 4 weeks later...