Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis gun

dutchbarge

Hello, I just received a hardback copy of Lyn Macdonald's To the Last Man, Spring 1918.......to my surprise and joy I found on the flyleaf, "Lyn Macdonald, Armistice 1998"...........the rather iconic photo of a squad of Highlanders on the dust jacket, Lewis gun at the ready, left me wondering how many other readers have noticed that the gun pictured, being sighted by the gunner, is absent its ammo pannier.........my guess is that the photo was staged........years ago I owned a live Lewis gun and am pretty sure the photo shows the gun's magazine post absent the pannier......mine was an inter-war Japanese model 92 light machinegun (air cooled) to which someone along the way added a barrel shroud/buttstock........technically the caliber was Japanese 7.7 x 56R but it operated flawlessly on British .303...............a lovely gun to shoot.......hypnotic watching the pannier rotate whilst hammering away.......Cheers, Bill

I had not -- but I will now go and look! Excellent bonus to find it signed.

One of the many things I kick myself about was not getting a deact. Lewis when they were relatively common and relatively affordable, now even display models built on a dummy receiver are very uncommon and very expensive. As a result I am currently struggling to create a display Lewis based on a base kit of 3D printed plastic parts sold to allow StarWars fans to create a "blaster" (which for the films was based on a Lewis gun - without the pannier).

Now off to look at the pic!

Chris

Hello Chris, This should make you feel a little better about missing out on a dewat......in 1983 I paid $1,200 for the live gun (plus $200 the AFT and a 3 month wait for a background check) and later sold it for only $950.  I don't even want to know what it is worth now.  Cheers, Bill

Edited by dutchbarge

• 4 months later...

There are many 'lewis gun' threads scattered around but just wanted to offload some imagery before I lose it. All lewis MG related.

Mark

spacer.png

Edited by Mark Finneran