Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal awarded to US navy for visit by fleet in 1917

geraldryan

I cannot find any specific information on this medal which I obtained years ago. The medal is in silver with PLATA stamped on its edge. Issued for a visit by the US fleet in 1917 to Bueno Aeries  Any information greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1437.png

IMG_1440.png

The USA entered the war in April 1917.  

German intelligence services had been very active in Latin America with some neutral countess seeming to turn a blind eye to their operations.

Argentina was one of these countries and I suspect that the medal was either awarded to men of a US Navy Fleet sent to Argentina to ensure Argentina's neutrality and to put an end to any clandestine help being given to the Germans or local dignitaries as a gesture of goodwill, or possibly both

PLATA being the River Plate into which the expedition sailed to reach Buenos Aires

Just surmising so happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

I collect Argentine Mausers.  The Argentines had very close relationship with the German military industries, going as far back as the late 1800s.  Each of the S. American countries bought loads of cutting-edge arms from German arms manufacturers for many decades leading up to the Second World War.  They also, at times, ordered items to be passed to neighboring countries, depending on who their allies were at the time.  IE they have a history of deception and some crooked action.  (Don't we all.)  The medal is super interesting - and yes - I would imagine the US fleet sailed down South to remind them how geographically close we were.

The squadron comprised of four USN armoured cruisers PIttsburg, Frederick, South Dakota, and Pueblo under command of Admiral William B. Caperton.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Thank you all for your updates. It’s not often a medal causes me problems but this one certainly does. 

There are other examples of this commemorative medal on the internet, but with a different ribbon.

This one (below) appears more visibly silver in colour than yours does. Perhaps there were both silver and bronze versions of the medals in existence - silver ones given to officers and bronze for the enlisted men?

IMG_2215.jpeg

Edited by KizmeRD