Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of 77th Field Ambulance 23/03/1918

andrew pugh

Hi

Could anybody tell me the location of the 77th Field Ambulance on the 23rd March 1918 and were any of them attached to the 2nd Ox & Buck's Light Infantry at that time. I have come across an unknown casualty of the R A M C who was attached to the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. He was found at 57c.I.32.c.8.0. there were 21 other casualties also found at this location including a named casualty Pte 62752 Joseph Houlding 77th Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps. He is buried in Bancourt British Cemetery. He is recorded as dying of wounds on the 23/03/1918. I suspect the unknown fella is Pte 72728 Fitzjohn H R of the 77th Field Ambulance. His service record exists and shows the he also died of wounds on the 23/03/1918.

Both found at the same location, both dying of wounds on the 23/03/1918 and the 77th Field Ambulance lists only 2 casualties being killed on the 23/03/1918.I need to know were any connection of the 77th Field Ambulance men attached to the Ox & Buck's Light Infantry at that time. The only Ox & Bucks unit present in the area were the 2nd Battalion. Are there any maps showing there location.

Kind Regards

Andy   

Andrew,

The 77th F.A. and 2nd O.B.L.I. war diaries both mention an attack by hostile aircraft. As well as 2 deaths for 77 F.A. the 2 O.B.L.I. lost 3 other ranks and Captain Willoughby John Littledale. Captain Littledale was originally buried at 57c.N29.A.9.2. The O.B.L.I. diary doesn't give a location or map.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353354

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14052868

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf

Thank you for the information given. 57c.I.32.c.8.0 is located on what is now a T junction where the road come up from Villers au Flos to the Bancourt Bertincourt road. On of the 22 casualties found at this location was a chap called Houlding 77th Field Ambulance R A M C and is buried in Bancourt British Cemetery. The other casualty is just listed as Unknown R A M C attached to Ox& Buck's. The only Ox & Buck's unit in that area were the 2nd Battalion.I am pretty sure that this man is Fitzjohn, He is commemorated on the Poziere Memorial All the 22 casualties found at 57c.I.32.c.8.0 are now buried in Bancourt British Cemetery. The area on that date is for the 77th Field Ambulance is bang on. I will have to dig a little deeper. I have already successfully Identified 2 of the casualties found at 57c.I.32.c.8.0. How could a man belonging to the R A M C be attached to the Ox & Buck's did they have their own medical teams? Once again thank you.

Kind Regards

Andy

Hello Andy,

Each infantry battalion would normally have, 3 R.A.M.C. men , probably a Lance Corporal and 2 Privates, attached for 'water duties'. They would be responsible for checking the quality of drinking water and would generally work with the battalion's M.O. with regards to matters of general hygeine. This was quite a responsible job, as no-one as no-one wanted a battalion of men being laid low because of dirty drinking water. Good luck with your further research.

Regards,

Alf McM