Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar Dog ID

roughdiamond

Hi Folks

My friend picked up a WW1 era photo frame with a photo of an unknown man in tropical uniform, attached is an image of his Collar Dog, the blurring is on the original not on the image taken, can anyone ID his unit please?

Regards

SamScreenshot_20230826_142742_X.jpg.5e61e4b9ff7341e685e2e1076c309244.jpg

54 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Thank you👍

This is how it looked. 

IMG_9333.jpeg

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This is how it looked. 

IMG_9333.jpeg

Thank you

This is the photo frame for anyone interested.

Screenshot_20230826_170237_X.jpg

43 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Thank you

This is the photo frame for anyone interested.

Screenshot_20230826_170237_X.jpg

What a super frame.  Complete with British Lion at top prowling in overwatch of all below it.

Just now, DavidOwen said:

Have you had the photo out of the frame?

Not mine sadly but my friend told me she had, looking at the fact it focuses on the Med, I believe only the 2nd and 6th Bn's served there.

Sam

The haircut looks to be later than WW1 but I am not a coiffure connoisseur!  I would have said late 20's or 30's but that does not match the frame.  Collars were not usually worn during the  WW1 ME campaigns but one can never be 100%.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Not mine sadly but my friend told me she had, looking at the fact it focuses on the Med, I believe only the 2nd and 6th Bn's served there.

Sam

Thanks Sam.

No suggestion of a name at all then?

12 minutes ago, max7474 said:

The haircut looks to be later than WW1 but I am not a coiffure connoisseur!  I would have said late 20's or 30's but that does not match the frame.  Collars were not usually worn during the  WW1 ME campaigns but one can never be 100%.

For some reason collar badges were quite common on KD before the war when walking-out, etc. whereas they were not authorised for serge service dress back home.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Thanks Sam.

No suggestion of a name at all then?

Afraid not.

6 minutes ago, max7474 said:

As I said in an earlier post, I reckon only 2nd and 6th served in the Med, 2nd transferred to France in May 1918, however this image below taken from the LLT is interesting and may explain the frame and the reason he'd be wearing Collar Dogs if he was part of the post War occupation force. All conjecture obviously.Screenshot_20230826_183412_Chrome.jpg.5161cde3e2d8d3372352eb57783ed4bf.jpg

14 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

Afraid not.

As I said in an earlier post, I reckon only 2nd and 6th served in the Med, 2nd transferred to France in May 1918, however this image below taken from the LLT is interesting and may explain the frame and the reason he'd be wearing Collar Dogs if he was part of the post War occupation force. All conjecture obviously.Screenshot_20230826_183412_Chrome.jpg.5161cde3e2d8d3372352eb57783ed4bf.jpg

Service battalions did not survive very long after the Armistice.  Collar badges were authorised across the whole army in 1924, simultaneously with the recut SD jacket.  However, some Service Battalions did wear collar badges during the war, although it wasn’t widespread and how they were funded isn’t clear.

Edited by FROGSMILE

An identical collar badge was worn by the Lincolnshire Yeomanry.

Quote from Wikipedia.

1/1st Lincolnshire YeomanryEdit

The regiment was mobilised in August 1914, and formed a part of the North Midland Mounted Brigade and in September were attached to the 1st Mounted Division.[8]

In 1915 they were ordered overseas and departed for Salonika but en route they received order to divert to Egypt.[8] In April 1916 the Brigade was re designated as the 22nd Mounted Brigade and attached to the Western Frontier Force and in early 1917 moved to the ANZAC Mounted Division and participated in the Second Battle of Gaza.[8] Another move was made in June 1917, this time they were attached to the Yeomanry Mounted Division and were involved in the Third Battle of Gaza and the Battle of Beersheba, later the Division would be re designated and change their name to the 1st Mounted Division and the 4th Cavalry Division, while with the 4th Cavalry Division the Brigade again changed its designation and became the 12th Cavalry Brigade.[8]

In April 1918, the regiment left the brigade and their horses to become a dismounted unit of the Machine Gun Corps, merging with 1/1st East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry to form "D" Battalion, Machine Gun Corps. It was as the 102nd MGC that they moved to France in June 1918 and were attached to the First Army.[8]

Regards Tony

Edited by tonydb
Quote added

2 hours ago, tonydb said:

An identical collar badge was worn by the Lincolnshire Yeomanry.

Quote from Wikipedia.

1/1st Lincolnshire YeomanryEdit

The regiment was mobilised in August 1914, and formed a part of the North Midland Mounted Brigade and in September were attached to the 1st Mounted Division.[8]

In 1915 they were ordered overseas and departed for Salonika but en route they received order to divert to Egypt.[8] In April 1916 the Brigade was re designated as the 22nd Mounted Brigade and attached to the Western Frontier Force and in early 1917 moved to the ANZAC Mounted Division and participated in the Second Battle of Gaza.[8] Another move was made in June 1917, this time they were attached to the Yeomanry Mounted Division and were involved in the Third Battle of Gaza and the Battle of Beersheba, later the Division would be re designated and change their name to the 1st Mounted Division and the 4th Cavalry Division, while with the 4th Cavalry Division the Brigade again changed its designation and became the 12th Cavalry Brigade.[8]

In April 1918, the regiment left the brigade and their horses to become a dismounted unit of the Machine Gun Corps, merging with 1/1st East Riding of Yorkshire Yeomanry to form "D" Battalion, Machine Gun Corps. It was as the 102nd MGC that they moved to France in June 1918 and were attached to the First Army.[8]

Regards Tony

If the photo can be removed from the frame he should be wearing a bandolier in lieu of a waistbelt when walking-out if he is Yeomanry.  His slicked hair and general appearance suggest it’s that kind of scenario.

52 minutes ago, roughdiamond said:

It's been out and there's nothing to narrow down the unit.

Sam

I understand and can only advise that the style of the photo has all of the hallmarks of peacetime or at least benign circumstances with the soldier dressed in his best, khaki drill walking-out uniform.  

Edited by FROGSMILE