Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives visit - Help Required

Kingygirl22

I am about to make my first ever visit to the National Archives.  Up until now I have been able to download everything I needed, or in some cases, have asked a private researcher to copy the files on my behalf.  I now need to visit personally, due to the number of archives I need to study. This will involve a couple of nights away from home on more than one occasion as there are  a lot of files to get through. I’d like to ask members for some advice. I know what to do at the archives, this request is for information regarding my stay in London  ( perhaps you could reply by DM if you don’t want to post here )  I have asked and was told it was OK to post in this section. 

The sort of information I’m looking for is:

1.  When other forum members stay down in London for a few days, do you stay near the NA, (and if so, which areas would you recommend I  look for accommodation) or do you  travel in each day from nearer the centre?  
2. If in the city, would you travel out to he Archives by tube, using either Kew Bridge or Kew Gardens stations or by bus?
 3. How far is it from the tube stations to the National Archives? Within walking distance or best to get a taxi or Uber?  

4. I see a bus route passes reasonably near but can’t quite work out where this route begins and ends or the distance from the bus stop to the Archives.

I’m sorry to bother you all with this but I really don’t know where to start. Needless to say, with multiple visits planned, I don”t aim to stay at the Ritz!  

Any help anyone can give me to make planning future journeys as easy as possible would be much appreciated  

Thank You

I've not been for a number of years but on the occasions I did visit, I usually stayed in central London (more options in the evening than Kew itself) and went by Tube to Kew Gardens. It's a 10 minute walk to the archive IIRC. 

Bernard 

Both Kew Gardens and Kew Bridge are within easy walking distance. Kew Gardens Station is very close indeed. Living just within driving range I tend to do a long day trip, but I suggest that you look at the cheapest options for overnight stay that is on a line to one of those stations; you don't need a taxi or uber from either if you are in reasonable health. There is no cheap accommodation in London, but chains like Travelodge and Premier Inn are at least of a consistent standard.  At one time there used to be seriously cheap options at the Kew Bridge Travelodge but those days are long gone.

Someone who stays overnight in more recent times might have better suggestions for accommodation.

Keith

For my last visit, I stayed in an AirBnB that was very close to UKNA….literally in between Kew Gardens Tube and the UKNA.  It was very reasonable, and there’s a supermarket and a corner store within walking distance to grab a sarney or other victuals.

Thanks all. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Things a little clearer now.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kingygirl22,

I've been going down off and on for nearly 15 years, and I've always stayed at the Travelodge Kew Bridge on Brentford High St, facing the river . . . it's a decent place, and is still one of the most reasonable places around. Coming into London on the West Coast line into Euston, it's a Tube to Waterloo, and catch one of the regular South Western Railways trains that stop at Kew Bridge railway station - it's about 25 mins from Waterloo to Kew Bridge station, and a ten min walk from the station along the High St to the Travelodge. To get to the NA, catch the no. 65 from the bus stop in front of the Travelodge - on a good day it takes about 10 mins, taking you over the river - get off at the junction of Mortlake Road and Kew Road, and it's a 10 min walk down Mortlake Road to the NA

The Travelodge breakfast is an all-you-can-eat affair, and really sets you up for the day. The dinners are a bit ropey and overpriced - for something decent nearby, there's the Express Tavern, a nice pub with good food, on the High St near Kew Bridge station; there's also a Sainsbury's opposite the pub.

Chris

Edited by cmf

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. That’s exactly what I wanted to know. I feel a lot happier about making the trip now.. 

2 hours ago, Kingygirl22 said:

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. That’s exactly what I wanted to know. I feel a lot happier about making the trip now.. 

No problem at all, I'm glad it's helped! :) Once you've been down there once, got your bearings, it'll seem like second nature! If it's a fine day, and you want to work off breakfast, you can always walk to the NA from the hotel - it's a nice stretch of the river by the bridge, and Kew itself is a really nice area to explore. I would say, if you're going to be using the Tube and overland rail, you'll have to negotiate stairs on the Tube between Euston and Waterloo, and also at Kew Bridge Station  . . . but if you're staying just for a couple of nights at a time, then you should be travelling quite light, so it shouldn't put your back out :D

Thanks, CMF. Sounds a nice idea.  Walking and stairs are no problem, so I hope it’s a nice day.