Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

68th (Welsh) Division. Formation Sign

owen4256

I have never seen any evidence that the 68th (Welsh) Division had a Divisional Formation Sign. I recently saw the attached medal ,dated 1918, from the Divisional Horse Show. Clearly some effort has gone into the design and striking of a commemorative medal. Has anyone else come across this design in connection with the 68th Division?

Best

Clive

68th Medal.jpg

Not seen that one before, Owen.  Thanks for showing the image. 

The 68th was the second-line to the 53rd Welsh Division (TF) which served in Gallipoli and later Palestine.  I've not been aware of a divisional formation sign for the 68th, but that doesn't mean it never existed. 

According to the 53rd's published history the Prince of Wales feathers was their emblem, even though again it wasn't translated into shoulder-patches. 

Clive 

The design of the dragon is identical to that used by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on its colours since as far back I think as the 1747 ‘Cloathing Regulations’.  It is of course a heraldically different format to that of the Welsh Dragon passant, and is described as ‘The Red Dragon of Wales’.  It seems to have strong association with the Tudor dynasty and stretches back through Henry VII and beyond to his ancient Welsh lineage.  The same dragon is used in the arms of the City of London (not always well known to Welshmen) and appears at the base of every lamppost along the Thames embankment in central London.

NB.  It was also chosen to be on the button of the new, ‘Royal Welsh’ (regiment) in 2006.

Edited by FROGSMILE