Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

chevaux de frise

Cliff. Hobson

I came across the above in the war history of the 1st Bn. Sherwood Foresters, " B" Company managed to get within 40 yards of the German wire; this however had been cut in one place only where there was a gap some four yards wide, but it was noticed that in several places the CHEVAUX DE FRISE were sunk and so had escaped injury." What is, was, chevaux de frise,

The nearest I can get is curly haired horses.

Cliff. Hobson

They were moveable barbed wire entanglements. They were often referred to as 'knife rests' by British soldiers - there is a thread somewhere else about this.

Basically they were two cross sections of wood with a strut between them with wire strung round thus: x----x

Sometimes the design varied.

They could be moved about, used to block gaps in the wire etc and in soft mud would sink - as per your account.

Hope this helps.

Paul, Thank you for your help, I don't think I could have worked it out, one could not think of barbed wire receiving injury.

Regards, Cliff. Hobson.

Cliff

Whilst Paul is quite correct with his description of the chevaux-de-frise, the term existed well before WW1. Originally this was an anti-cavalry device. The cross member would be studded with broken sword blades or custom made metal spikes.

Terry Reeves

Indeed, I am sure I have seen photos of similar devices being used in the American Civil War?

Quite right, Paul. Mainly (though not exclusively) used in Confederate defences. Here's a photo of some from this period....

dave

PS. they were also known as "Spanish Riders".

post-3-1056233950.jpg

These were also used during the Napoleonic wars (and probably before and since.) as an improvised defence in breeches made by siege artillery in fortress walls.

Roger.

Guest Steve Seaman

Cliff

Re Knife rests, If you look in the new to this forum section , there is a thread entitled Trenches, which has some info .

Steve

I have a post-card of French soldiers with some chevaux de frise: see below (I hope this works)

post-3-1056310925.jpg

I think it's still possible to see WW1 period Chevaux de Frise in situ. on the Butte de Vauquois. At least it was on my last visit there (roughly 7 years ago).

Dave.

I think it's still possible to see WW1 period Chevaux de Frise in situ. on the Butte de Vauquois. At least it was on my last visit there (roughly 7 years ago).

Dave.

Yes, quite true. They are still there; I have also found them in the forests of Verdun at various points over the years, and there used to be some near Navarin Farm in the Champagne, and at Fort La Pompelle.