Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

p1907 Bayonet

Alexander Augustus

I have found a ww2 era 1907 bayonet in pretty good condition however it is missing the rivets which hold the handle grips. Any idea where I may procure some? 

The screw sets are readily available on eBay, usually listed with replacement grips - e.g. a current listing below. Some online dealers list them without the grips but they’re usually around the same price as the ebay examples.

Cheers,

Pete

IMG_6198.jpeg

I personally would remove the silver paint from handle and scabbard fittings.

Your bayonet is an Australian, Lithgow made bayonet (MA) made in 9/44 by the looks, and although the photo's are a bit unclear, the metal parts of the bayonet and scabbard could have been chromed to become a parade bayonet as many of them were after WW2. The leather was painted black at the same time. You should be able to tell, chrome or paint, but if it is chrome then you could keep it that way.

Cheers,

TR

• 4 months later...
On 24/08/2023 at 06:27, t.ryan said:

Your bayonet is an Australian, Lithgow made bayonet (MA) made in 9/44 by the looks, and although the photo's are a bit unclear, the metal parts of the bayonet and scabbard could have been chromed to become a parade bayonet as many of them were after WW2. The leather was painted black at the same time. You should be able to tell, chrome or paint, but if it is chrome then you could keep it that way.

Cheers,

TR

On 23/08/2023 at 21:49, Alexander Augustus said:

I have found a ww2 era 1907 bayonet in pretty good condition however it is missing the rivets which hold the handle grips. Any idea where I may procure some? 

Also post war in Australia especially in the 1970's and 80's a lot were painted silver by cadet corps and schools. Personally if the bayonet is painted or chromed, and the scabbard has black paint I would treat it as original and ideal to leave as is.

Kind regards,

G

On 24/08/2023 at 01:41, AndyBsk said:

I personally would remove the silver paint from handle and scabbard fittings.

Possibly it is a later local Cadet corps effort at a proper chromed Australian chromed bayonet from the 60’s, by the 80s a lot of clubs and schools which no longer had the funding of earlier iterations or proper RAN,RAAF and Army cadet went with the silver paint. 

kind regards

g

FCCC509A-B8AB-4136-A703-4AEF42650636.jpeg

B9617F0B-DD4D-4FC0-BC5C-51D65AA485C1.jpeg

F3DE0813-2DF0-4521-A6DD-E94A2A2A7DF9.jpeg

2EF945D6-17D8-43D8-8058-112CCAA992D3.jpeg