Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Guy Harris

Lyffe

I'm not sure I'm posting this query in the correct section, but since my query has an aviation bent I hope it's OK.

Lt Guy Harris RAF is how he finished his military service, but he started in the RNVR.  Born in 1884 he became an accountant on leaving school.  He enlisted in the RNVR in 1916  and started his navy service at HMS President, a shore unit, as a ACM II at the age of 32 (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6815125)

There are just three entries on his service record, the first when he joins, the second when he leaves the ranks on commission and unfortunately the final entry is so unclear that it is impossible to translate.

He was commissioned as a Temporary Sub-Lt on 28 Aug 1917 in the Hydrology Department for meteorological duties and two months later is posted to Howden Airship Station as a meteorologist (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7721883).

After transferring to the RAF in August 1918 he continued serving at Howden and subsequently appointed the meteorological officer on the R34 for it's trans-Atlantic flight to/from New York, departing East Fortune 2 July 1919 and arriving at Long Island on the 6 July.  The R34 left Long Island for the return leg on the 10th and arrived at Pulham on the 13 July.  

That's a very brief summary  of his military career, but an article about him in the Birmingham Mail, dated 31 March 1919 describes how, during his time as an ACM at HMS President after enlisting, he flew as a gunner during air raids on London and the South and shot down 'at least one enemy machine'.

Which leads me to my query - would it really have been possible someone with his civilian background, lowly navy rank and lack of flying experience to have flown operationally with no apparent training?

Brian