Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Francis Pegahmagabow Canadian Soldier

andrew pugh

Good Evening to you all.

I have just been looking at a picture of a Canadian Indian soldier Francis Pegahmagabow on Wilipedia and it shows a rather large medal worn on his tunic, does anybody know what it is, it looks heavy.

Regards

Andy

Hi

Thank you for your reply. What a character, no wonder the Germans feared the Canadian soldiers. Once again thank you.

Kind regards

Andy 

@andrew pugh

Definitely an Indian Chiefs medal, QV type, possibly awarded to his father or perhaps grandfather.

FrancisPegahmagabow.jpg

francis-pegahmagabow.jpg

Edited by RNCVR

In April 1919, Pegahmagabow invalided to Canada, having served for nearly the entire war. Afterward, he joined the Algonquin Regiment in the non-permanent active militia and, following in the steps of his father and grandfather, became chief of the Parry Island Band (now Wasauksing First Nation) and later a councilor. A member of Canada's Indian Hall of Fame, Pegahmagabow died on the reserve in 1952.

• 4 months later...

Maybe not the right topic. But in 2017, when i visit the museum Passchendaele at Zonnebeke, I saw 2 grand grandchildren from the warhero. Look the detail in the background. Here they gave an interview for tv program or documentary. 

grand children Pegahmagabow.JPG