Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

familyhistoryman

I am researching John MacDonald from Darwen and the only record I can find is his pension record on Fold3. 

The pension record gives his regimental number as 294605 (Labour) and 122678 (RE). Record card also contains another number S.F.O. 63373 - what does this refer to?

John MacDonald 1.JPG

On 21/08/2023 at 15:17, familyhistoryman said:

Record card also contains another number S.F.O. 63373 - what does this refer to?

I believe S.F.O. 63373 is his pension Identity Number [used at a Post Office for drawing his money] - Not his pension claim reference which was Chelsea [Hospital] No. NK 31442.

He doesn't appear to have been given a later MoP style of regional pension reference number [would have been along the lines of 3/MM/xxxxx] - which rather suggests his claim did not continue much longer.

He got 5/6 pw from 8/1/19 to 8/7/19 [The 20% disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Pte]

It was not uncommon to make a short initial award whilst a pension was better sorted out, one way or another - the fact that it was so small a degree/award quantum and short period rather suggests it was for a condition that was considered quite probably likely to have got better within the 6 month award period.

I couldn't find other records ... so I suspect that was his lot.

M

Edit: Would be interesting to know if my interpretation was fairly close.

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Thanks for your interpretation of the "pension card." I have not been able to find much information on John - his MRC shows he went to France 1 Oct 1915. He was born 1867 died 1929 

1 minute ago, busterfield said:

563 home service employment company

I don't have a copy but Starling & Lee's "No Labour, No Battle", a history of the Labour Corps, may perhaps offer something on them ??

"NL, NB" [Table 15] does however offer 294605 as having been issued June to September 1917

M

Many thanks for the additional information. I had checked findmypast and I don't know how I missed the record.