Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification Please

Promenade

The following photo was sent to the Worcestershire Regiment Museum and Archive purporting to depict a man of the regiment. Unfortunately our uniforms expert is unavailable and I was wondering if any of the experts on the Forum could help.

Not the clearest of photos unfortunately

Many thanks

Promenade

image.png.0ca240742e5a5c8eb92a77886439ccc6.png

Edited by Promenade

1 hour ago, Promenade said:

The following photo was sent to the Worcestershire Regiment Museum and Archive purporting to depict a man of the regiment. Unfortunately our uniforms expert is unavailable and I was wondering if any of the experts on the Forum could help.

Not the clearest of photos unfortunately

Many thanks

Promenade

image.png.0ca240742e5a5c8eb92a77886439ccc6.png

It looks to me like the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry.  Only a few Yeomanry regiments favoured the waist-length, ‘dolman’ jacket with multiple rows of closely aligned round cord lace, and even less with 5-buttons in each row.

IMG_9226.jpeg

IMG_9227.jpeg

IMG_9225.jpeg

IMG_9224.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, Promenade said:

As ever many thanks Frogsmile

Here are some more images of that unit to help you with your comparison.

IMG_9229.jpeg

IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9230.jpeg

Many thanks for the follow up - much appreciated.

Can I ask what period these uniforms were worn - the individual in question appears to have been born in about 1902, in Birmingham, and enlisted in the Worcs Regt on 24/3/20 being discharged in March 1932 (i.e. after 12 years and giving a Birmingham address). The man in the photo looks older than an 18-year old although he possibly could have re-enlisted. I am not sure whether the man in the photo is the man who enlisted in 1920 hence my interest in dates.

Once again like many others who tap into your extensive expertise - thankyou!

1 hour ago, Promenade said:

Many thanks for the follow up - much appreciated.

Can I ask what period these uniforms were worn - the individual in question appears to have been born in about 1902, in Birmingham, and enlisted in the Worcs Regt on 24/3/20 being discharged in March 1932 (i.e. after 12 years and giving a Birmingham address). The man in the photo looks older than an 18-year old although he possibly could have re-enlisted. I am not sure whether the man in the photo is the man who enlisted in 1920 hence my interest in dates.

Once again like many others who tap into your extensive expertise - thankyou!

I’m glad to help a little.  Looking at the evolution of uniforms across the Yeomanry as a whole I’ve gained the impression that their epoch was in the lead up to Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897.  It seems clear that this event was worked towards as a civic as well as military duty and the County Associations that funded the Yeomanry and Volunteer Force must have expended some significant sums in preparation.  Certainly enough uniforms were purchased to provide a marching detachment for each unit, but it’s unlikely that every single man was so equipped.

After the Jubilee came the costly and unexpectedly long second Anglo/Boer War and afterwards there was considerable financial retrenchment and what money there was was devoted towards the new drab uniforms that had become so essential in modern warfare marked by smokeless cordite and long range marksmanship.  As a result the expensive dress uniforms were then only seen in small numbers at civic receptions and Royal visits to the counties concerned, until a wholesale reorganisation of the auxiliary forces brought about in 1908.

Ergo, all things considered your uniform would most likely date to between 1897 and 1908.  After the outbreak of war in 1914 such uniforms became very rare and largely confined to those privileged few from the landed gentry, who acted in a senior capacity as e.g. unit honorary colonels, carrying out ceremonial, attending levees, and acting as a patron and advocate in local government and/or parliament.  Even then the new khaki uniform was much preferred and more commonly seen.  If your subject was born in 1902 it’s unlikely to be him in the uniform.  Perhaps it’s an older sibling, or father.

Edited by FROGSMILE