Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS HYTHE & HMS SARNIA tragedy

michellemcleod

I have today finally received a much wanted copy of the handbook

SOUTHBOROUGH SAPPPERS OF THE KENT FORTRESS ROYAL ENGINEERS.

My great grandfather Percy Hunt was one of many who died on the HMS Hythe and this handbook helpded me understand what took place on 28/10/1915.

If I can help anyone else with information on this devastating event, please just let me know.

After all if it wasnt for Clive I wouldnt have even known the book existed, therefore piecing together a crucial part of my own family history.

Chelle

Chelle,

I am still working on Hythe/Sarnia. The problem is finding the time.

I can tell you two more things about Percy. His old home at 110 Vale Road, Tonbridge no longer exists. The site is now used for light industry. The other thing is that Percy is not listed on the Tonbridge memorial. There are one or two names out of alphabetical order on the end of the list, and this suggests that the council is willing to add names. I think there is a chance you could get Percy added if you assemble all the evidence. According to the Frank Stevens' book, Percy is on the memorial in St Stephen's, Tonbridge. I will try to get a photo of this but it may take some time.

• 1 month later...

Wow Clive, thank you for that post, its sad in a way to know he was missed off the Tonbridge Memorial. I'm not sure how or what I could do from Australia to have him added, do you? What evidence would I have to assemble? It would be worth the exercise so he is not forgotten for his part in history...

If you do find time for that photo at St Stephens, it would be awesome...

Chelle

Chelle,

I am still working on Hythe/Sarnia. The problem is finding the time.

I can tell you two more things about Percy. His old home at 110 Vale Road, Tonbridge no longer exists. The site is now used for light industry. The other thing is that Percy is not listed on the Tonbridge memorial. There are one or two names out of alphabetical order on the end of the list, and this suggests that the council is willing to add names. I think there is a chance you could get Percy added if you assemble all the evidence. According to the Frank Stevens' book, Percy is on the memorial in St Stephen's, Tonbridge. I will try to get a photo of this but it may take some time.

I will look into it Chelle. I'm afraid it won't happen instantly though. Too many things to do and not enough time! It will get done though.

Regards,

Clive