Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Regimental uniform please

Travellinman

The picture below was found in my Uncle's attic when he died.  My cousin thought it was the long lost picture of my Great Uncle lost on the Somme which I remeber as a child and have been trying to find for the past 40+ years, but when discovered it was not the one I remembered and is certainly not Coldstream Guards (which the Guards Museum have confirmed).  It also appears to a dress uniform for warmer climes (he went straight from Epsom Downs training to the Western Front).

Can anyone identify this for me please?  It might be (and I am hoping it is) another Great Uncle lost at Gaza.  By identifying the regimental uniform I can confirm or dismiss this.

Which regiment.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I haven't a clue myself on the uniform. I can say though that he's a Lance Corporal... however I do wonder whether that uniform might be from India... refer to attached image which I found on a search.

Killer moustache though!

Zidane

image.jpeg.09276040e9d8c686cf8ac9f019633702.jpeg

On 20/08/2023 at 11:00, Travellinman said:

The picture below was found in my Uncle's attic when he died.  My cousin thought it was the long lost picture of my Great Uncle lost on the Somme which I remeber as a child and have been trying to find for the past 40+ years, but when discovered it was not the one I remembered and is certainly not Coldstream Guards (which the Guards Museum have confirmed).  It also appears to a dress uniform for warmer climes (he went straight from Epsom Downs training to the Western Front).

Can anyone identify this for me please?  It might be (and I am hoping it is) another Great Uncle lost at Gaza.  By identifying the regimental uniform I can confirm or dismiss this.

Which regiment.jpeg

He appears to be either a bombardier in the Royal Artillery, or lance corporal in the Army Service Corps in a tropical station such as India circa around 1895.  The then still unified RA adopted a ball top to their helmets after initially starting with spikes in 1878.  The Army Service Corps followed suit, as later did some other service support corps like the veterinary corps.  He’s wearing an 1890s blue serge frock and strapped down white overalls typical of units engaged in mounted duties and the absence of any collar badge makes it impossible to be sure of his corps with any exactitude.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you tankengine888 especially for the pic which is an accurate match the picture I'm trying to identify, especially the helmet. 

Thank you to Frogsmile for your reply and for the impressive detail in your answer.  

It's not the answer i was hoping for but I can now eliminate my Great Uncle who died at Gaza.  Interestingly, my Grandfather served in the Royal Field Artillery in Mesopotamia but spent time in India training, resting and recovering from two bouts of malaria.  Its definitely not him but I think your answers have helped pointed me in the right direction for further research.