Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Infantry Marching Four Abreast in Wartime

JMB1943

How were the four columns constituted?

I can see the four coys. leaving a parade-ground in order, but during a retreat/advance, was each line a company (A, B, C, D), or a random mixture of men?

Regards,

JMB

As also for parade ground order, each block of men, marching four abreast or otherwise, would likely be a platoon and typically headed by their officer [OC - of whatever rank they might be].  Potentially by ranked sections. Junior NCOs [LCpl and Cpl] usually in defined places and chances being the most senior NCO/Sgt being at the rear keeping an eye on all the proceedings.

Parade = "Platoon, Form four ranks", "Right turn turn" and "Quick march!"

It wouldn't be a column/line (of one man abreast) of A Company trailing back into the distance next to a column of B Company, etc.

A Company would be a series of Platoon blocks following each other.  Likely similar organised for a Battalion by sequential Company(ies) [and their Platoons] Blocks

- But not necessarily in sparkling parade ground order in the field when marching to and from the front line!  Less & less sparkling and structured the nearer the front they were on both tactical and practical grounds.  In the field and away from more senior eyes less structure and though commonly the officer(s) leading each block, but possibly aside, with more NCOs circling to cajole and assist their men along.

That's my take.  Now I await :ph34r:

M

Edited by Matlock1418
tweak

Matlock,

As per usual, a comprehensive answer for which many thanks.

Regards,

JMB

That was ... Always assuming there were any officers and NCOs around [e.g. after a battle - that said there would be typically for a battalion a Battle Reserve of officers and NCOs that would have kept back, I suspect WO too, to get a grip on the remnants when/if they came back] - as necessary the NCOs would have stepped up accordingly.  There undoubtedly have been more ad-hoc compositions coming out of the field etc. but that would be the normal structure I would think - by Platoon.  In camp and in the field the NCOs would have organised most of this and the officers commonly only turned up and slotted in when they had to. :D

I wasn't quoting a drill manual and numbering off and ranking & dressing by height etc. and providing all commands, including further dressing whilst marching, a la parade - I feel the officers and NCOs of the day may have known much better [Perhaps! - more so in a Pre-War Regular unit than for Temporary Gentlemen and Kitchener Volunteer NCOs - though drill did form a large part of their OR initial basic training] - but tried to provide a quick offering with more of a field style.  

I hope I have not been too far off!  So far so good, the heavens have not, yet, descended upon my head! :) :ph34r:

M

Edit: From vague recollections of looking at photos of marching columns/platoons I seem to think that Corporals have quite a high frequency of being at the front, behind the officer - makes me think they must fall in the right-handmost position of a rank, then when right turning they end up at the front of a platoon.

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

A now forgotten set of British drill commands (although curiously still present in the US Drill Manuals) were in use certainly up to WW2.  The stationary positions of Attention/Stand At Ease/Stand Easy were complimented by equivalents for marching - specifically route marching.  Marching at Attention (the only form that remains within British Drill Manual today ........ blame National Service) could be alternated by Marching At Ease and Marching Easy.  The idea that the formation (and specifically feet) kept moving at a measured rate to cover an expected distance within the prescribed time but allowed commanders to relax the formation from the waist up by ordering March At Ease or March Easy.  The exact detail escapes me but the smoking and talking within marching ranks and the slinging of arms were certainly a part of Marching Easy.

"Form Fours, Right Turn, How shall we spend the money we earn" 

Edited by TullochArd

1 minute ago, TullochArd said:

A now forgotten set of British drill commands (although curiously still present in the US Drill Manuals) were in use certainly up to WW2.  The stationary positions of Attention/Stand At Ease/Stand Easy were complimented by equivalents for marching - specifically route marching.  Marching at Attention (the only form that remains within British Drill Manual today ........ blame National Service) could be alternated by Marching At Ease and Marching Easy.  The idea that the formation (and specifically feet) kept moving at a measured rate to cover an expected distance within the prescribed time but allowed commanders to relax the formation from the waist up by ordering March At Ease or March Easy.  The exact detail escapes me but the smoking and talking within marching ranks and the slinging of arms were certainly a part of Marching Easy.

Certainly would match many photos of soldiers marching.

M

Hi JMB,

The parade ground order order of march is shown in Infantry Training 1914 (attached). It's not easy to imagine a battalion or company choosing to move tactically in column of fours - off road, tactical movement would be in line or, later, artillery formation (aka worms or caterpillars).

All the best,

Richard

Company marching in 4s.jpg

3 hours ago, Old Forge said:

The parade ground order order of march is shown in Infantry Training 1914 (attached). It's not easy to imagine a battalion or company choosing to move tactically in column of fours - off road, tactical movement would be in line or, later, artillery formation (aka worms or caterpillars). ...

Company marching in 4s.jpg

Interesting ... With the Company OC at the front and the baggage & Coy 2ic at the rear there is inbetween the Coy by 1/2 Platoon blocks of two Sections each, with the Pl Commanders and his Sgts heading each two section block and with Cpls also at the head of each two section block = that would seem likely to explain the photos and films we can still see of those so frequently seen Cpls.

Obviously for use in non-tactical scenarios, otherwise far too vulnerable.

Was "snake" also around in those days for more tactical situations?

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Marching At Ease: I remember coming across something like "collars may be opened and waistbelts undone; the rifle may be carried in any manner convenient."

14 hours ago, Mk VII said:

Marching At Ease: I remember coming across something like "collars may be opened and waistbelts undone; the rifle may be carried in any manner convenient."

That wording is familiar and seems word for word.  There are plenty of images of soldiers route marching during annual summer camps pre war dressed exactly in that manner.  It was common to be ordered to March at Attention when passing through any sustained conurbation such as towns, or upon approaching barracks.

Good afternoon all.

This is a photo of men marching which includes my uncle Waide Reginald Worrall [Reg] when he was in the 1/3 West Riding Field Ambulance RAMC. I suppose there are lots of photo's like this one but I thought it demonstrated the topic well.

Apologies if this isn't appropriate, Peter

File3790.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2023 at 21:59, Mk VII said:

Marching at Ease ...... and perhaps also munching thirst quenching mints.  'Marchatese' Mints ....... a cunning play on words.

Marchatese Mints.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

44 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Marching at Ease ...... and perhaps also munching thirst quenching mints.  'Marchatese' Mints ....... a cunning play on words.

Marchatese Mints.jpg

:D Fantastic marketing name.

I wonder how well they went down with the lads ??

M