Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC water tanks, Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey

Jim05

ANZAC water tanks installed at The Nek, Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey. A chronic shortage of water caused terrible suffering to the troops stationed in the hills above ANZAC Cove.  I have put more photos and information from Gallipoli here

298407548_154846563807345_8601296841083839948_n.jpg

298832943_154846537140681_98551056169185590_n.jpg

There are numerous water tanks or cisterns visible on the 1;5,000 Şevki Paşa maps available on TrenchMapper.

They are shown as a square with a dot in the centre, often in rows. The re-drawn map legend is available in Help->Knowledge Centre. See the Turkish Maps link then follow  "A lot more detail here."

Howard

cisterns.jpg

7 hours ago, Jim05 said:

Hello Howard, Thankyou for the information!  I was not aware of TrenchMapper - I'll check it our for sure!  Cheers, Jim

All our maps are georeferenced and can be viewed against modern maps. There is a lot in the Knowledge Centre, I cannot give a direct link but can to a copy here:-

Turkish Maps

Şevki Paşa post-evacuation maps

Redrawn Turkish legend

In TrenchMapper, to get to Gallipoli you first have to right click and choose it from the menu.

You can see from the redrawn legend that some items were never identified, that is also true for the republished Şevki Paşa maps, Çanakkale Tahkimat Haritası .

Any ideas welcome!

Howard

• 3 months later...

The tanks around the Nek area were moved from further back along Russell's Top and Walker's Ridge some years after the end of the war by the then Imperial War Graves Commission and were used for water storage During my first visit in 1988 I can remember at least one of the tanks still being used by the CWGC

I saw these tanks last year. Their position struck me as most odd, parked as they were under the barrels of the Turkish guns along Dead Man's Ridge and enemy positions on the other side of The Nek. That they were later moved to their present positions makes sense.