Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering RMLI Service Record

Simon127

Hello all,

Recently, my wife sent me out to buy a replacement box for our shoe polish and brushes.  I headed out to Wilko in good faith to buy some mass-produced acrylic box for a few quid, however, I stopped in an antiques shop en route and decided this this tin would make an infinitely more interesting shoe box.  The wife was not surprised when I returned home with this instead, but it is being used for polish and shoe brushes, so everyone's a winner...

The tin is, of course, a cap tin for a Royal Marine Light Infantry cap (presumably the Broderick cap worn by the RMLI).  It is somewhat battered but has a nice brass plate bearing the owner's details: 'CH. 14916 / THOMAS TOOMEY / R.M.L.I.'  

I have downloaded the National Archives service record for Thomas Toomey and it shows that he served a very long time from, I believe, 1894 until 1922.  I am keen to try to find out more about this Marine's wartime service in the Great War (he appears to have served during the Boer War) - I have snipped the details for his wartime service and added it to the post as 'Toomey Service Snip 1'.  I am struggling to get my head around the entries; he appears to have been attached to the Chatham Division, and received a £29 gratuity (for a wound?) in 1916. 

If anyone can help shine a light on what this Marine was doing where and when during the years from 1914-1918, I'd be very grateful indeed.  I am always in awe of what people can reveal on this forum...

Best wishes,

Simon  

PDTI7399.JPG

RTTB6791.JPG

Toomey Service Snip 1.JPG

Toomey Service Snip 2.jpg

Toomey Service Snip 3.JPG

Toomey Service Snip 4.JPG

His File is continued on 14915, it should be the page preceeding his 14916 Record. This contnued page will give his 1WW shios & embarkations (ships he served on).

Thomas Toomey was awarded the RN LS (Long Service) medal 26 Dec 1909 (Edward VII head) whilst serving on HMS Tamar (which was a Troopship).

Belay my previous post!  I note that you have already posted his 1WW continuation sheet.  Apologies!

Edited by RNCVR

A man with a peripatetic RMLI career: first enlisted as Plymouth /7173; transferrred to Chatham/10644 in Sep 1899; transferred back to Plymouth Division as Plymouth/10531 in Jun 1901; transferred back to Chatham Division as Chatham/14916 in May 1905; transferred to Chatham Division (Short Service) as Chatham/2849(S) in April 1918; and finally demobilised from Short Service in September 1919.  His ADM 159 records for ll these moves are here:-  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=thomas&_ln=toomey&_no=&_sd=&_ed=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=ADM+159&_col=200&_dt=RM&_hb=tna

His WW1 service (as a private RMLI under the latter two register numbers), when not at Chatham Division RMLI HQ, saw sea time in HMS VANGUARD and HMS ANTRIM  -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vanguard_(1909)   and  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Antrim_(1903)

His final (short) service from 1 April 1918 was with the Royal Marine Submarine Miners (RMSM).  Se Chapter 36 on this link   -   https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89100004282&view=1up&seq=521&skin=2021&size=125

His service ran from 1894 to 1919 after which he joined the Royal Fleet Reserve as a pensioner. He qualified for his pension in 1915 but remained mobilised for the war.

The cap-box is a very nice find.

Edited by horatio2

Once again, I find myself amazed by the skills of the contributors on this forum.  Thank you, gents, for the extra information; it's very much appreciated. 

Having looked at his age and the length of his service, I assumed - rather naively I suppose - that Toomey would have been considered a little old to serve at sea when there were presumably younger candidates during wartime.  His later service with the RMSM is particularly interesting.    

The tin is something that I'll treasure, more so now that I know the history.  Until recently, I lived in Kent and used to go up to the dockyard at Chatham about once a year.    

Thanks again and best wishes,

Simon  

21 hours ago, horatio2 said:

His service ran from 1894 to 1919 after which he joined the Royal Fleet Reserve as a pensioner. He qualified for his pension in 1915 but remained mobilised for the war.

On looking more closely at his records, the above is not quite correct.

He completed 21 years service for pension on 5 August 1915, while serving in ANTRIM. He was transferred to the RFR from 7 August 1915 (not 1919) and until 31 March 1918 served as a mobilised RFR pensioner. Thereafter, his service with RMSM under a Short Service number was from 1 April 1918  to 5 Feb 1919. On 6 Feb 1919 he was transferred back to RMLI (mobilised RFR) service until demob  in September 1919. During the latter period there are twio unreadable, "embarked"  drafts: 6-28 March and 8 Apr - 11 Aug 1919. During these two drafts he was borne on the books of HMS PEMBROKE (Chatham Base) but his actual service was in the units in brackets, which I cannot read.

He was discharged from the RFR on reaching age 50 on 9 August 1922.

Edited by horatio2

Under Pembroke, 8 apl '19  entry appears to be C in C's Guard.

& Pembroke 6 Mar '19, possibly 

C & M Fox = Care & Maintence HMS Fox.