Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial scroll errors?

IM75

Apologies if this has been covered before but I've done a search and I couldn't find anything...

Memorial scrolls and battalion details - were mistakes made and if so, how common was it? More specifically, could a scroll list the incorrect battalion (same regiment) for a casualty? 

Thanks

It depends on nationality - scrolls to Australian and South African casualties for example frequently do list the battalion as part of the naming. For casualties to British regiments it's much rarer, but still seen occasionally. Just a few examples from my own reference material to illustrate:

Memorial Scroll - 1st MG Bn AIF, Cpl (on CWGC as Australian Machine Gun Corps).jpg

Memorial scroll  - Rifle Brigade 4th King's African Rifles - Major.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2 South Lancs Regt - 2 Lieut.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2nd Bn South African Infantry.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2nd Devonshire Regiment.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

2 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

It depends on nationality - scrolls to Australian and South African casualties for example frequently do list the battalion as part of the naming. For casualties to British regiments it's much rarer, but still seen occasionally. Just a few examples from my own reference material to illustrate:

Memorial Scroll - 1st MG Bn AIF, Cpl (on CWGC as Australian Machine Gun Corps).jpg

Memorial scroll  - Rifle Brigade 4th King's African Rifles - Major.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2 South Lancs Regt - 2 Lieut.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2nd Bn South African Infantry.jpg

Memorial scroll - 2nd Devonshire Regiment.jpg

Excellent - thank you for sharing and clarifying. Is it random on the British ones? I notice the two in the photos are both regular battalions is that just a coincidence?

5 hours ago, IM75 said:

Excellent - thank you for sharing and clarifying. Is it random on the British ones? I notice the two in the photos are both regular battalions is that just a coincidence?

There must have been some sort of set regulations for how the scrolls should have been named, but they were named by human hands and humans have a well deserved reputation for doing things their own way. In another example, these three original scrolls were all on display in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Museum. In each case the regiment name has been abbreviated noticeably differently - the officers one more heavily so, yet in that case the battalion is featured (and a Kitchener/Service Battalion at that). My experience has always been there is very little (if any) rhyme or reason why some men got the battalion mentioned whilst the majority had it omitted: 

Memorialscroll-d.c.l.i.jpg.04f4365e3b13128ae02e4dcd36ca738f.jpg

Memorialscroll-DCLI.jpg.e54602aa7bb589590a07232c6283fd6e.jpg

Memorialscroll-DCLI2..JPG.8f357d117fcd0c9f2cac429a71a9786b.JPG

Edited by Andrew Upton

It's not just scrolls. Memorial Plaques have their share of errors too.

And medals

very common to see all sorts of errors