Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC

Simon Warren

Hi Guys

I am looking for information on Francis William Gater from Enfield . Born 1883 I can see that he was in RFC . But I am struggling to find out what he did . I know he signed up in 1915. 

Thanks so much Simon

Hello Simon!

Francis William Gater, S/N 7342
Born January 1883 in Edmonton, Middlesex

Enlisted July 24th, 1915 as an Air Mechanic 2nd Class
Appointed Air Mechanic 1st Class on February 1st, 1916
Served with 29 Squadron
Served in France from March 7th 1916 to February 19th 1919
To be discharged on April 30th, 1920

Died February 14th 1963 in Sunbury, Middlesex.

That should get the cogs moving.

Zidane.

7 minutes ago, ROBPUGH said:

Gater1.jpg

That looks like a fascinating file.  Presume it's from the UKNA?  Any chance you can share the file reference in case I can take a peek next time I'm in Blighty?  Interested to see if one of my relatives, James Gamble (3594) might appear in it.

Many thanks,
Mark

17 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

That looks like a fascinating file.  Presume it's from the UKNA?  Any chance you can share the file reference in case I can take a peek next time I'm in Blighty?  Interested to see if one of my relatives, James Gamble (3594) might appear in it.

Many thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, from the National Archives in the UK.

This is the file reference for my first image post: - AIR1/2172/209/13/2 Administrative Wing Routine Orders July - 14 Aug 1915

This is the file reference for my second image post: - AIR1/1/2173/209/13/3 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 16 Aug - 30 Oct 1915.

Other Admin Wing Daily Routine Orders are: -

AIR1/2172/209/13/1 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 10 May - 30 Jun 1915.

AIR1/2173/209/13/4 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 1 Nov - 25 Dec 1915.

17 minutes ago, ROBPUGH said:

Hi Mark,

Yes, from the National Archives in the UK.

This is the file reference for my first image post: - AIR1/2172/209/13/2 Administrative Wing Routine Orders July - 14 Aug 1915

This is the file reference for my second image post: - AIR1/1/2173/209/13/3 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 16 Aug - 30 Oct 1915.

Other Admin Wing Daily Routine Orders are: -

AIR1/2172/209/13/1 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 10 May - 30 Jun 1915.

AIR1/2173/209/13/4 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 1 Nov - 25 Dec 1915.

Many thanks Rob.  Appreciate the detailed answer.  Sadly, the files don't cover James Gamble's enlistment date which was in Feb 1915.

Kind regards,
Mark

3 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Many thanks Rob.  Appreciate the detailed answer.  Sadly, the files don't cover James Gamble's enlistment date which was in Feb 1915.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I have found the following information in AIR1/2172/209/13/1 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 10 May - 30 Jun 1915.

It shows he was with 2nd Aircraft Park when he was Promoted / Appointed a 1st Class Air Mechanic.

IMG_20230818_181113406.jpg

8 hours ago, ROBPUGH said:

Hi Mark,

I have found the following information in AIR1/2172/209/13/1 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 10 May - 30 Jun 1915.

It shows he was with 2nd Aircraft Park when he was Promoted / Appointed a 1st Class Air Mechanic.

was

Wow!  Many thanks Rob.  I knew Jim was based at Farnborough but, even in 1915, that was a major facility that collocated multiple RFC organizations.  Knowing that he was at the 2nd Aircraft Park is information I'd never had before.

It also helps solve a mystery that had been bugging me.  I have the following postcard that shows Jim, seated in the middle of the row behind the driver.  There never was an Aircraft Park at Arborfield Cross...but, clearly, the image shows some of his Aircraft Park colleagues.

27336290_ArborfieldVehicleandCrew.jpg.47805ae3d33d6b25ba761bc510b7237c.jpg

Again, many, MANY thanks for the additional insights into Jim's wartime service.

Also, apologies to other contributors to this thread for the drift I created.  Hope you'll all forgive me!

1 hour ago, Buffnut453 said:

There never was an Aircraft Park at Arborfield Cross

No, but just down the road there was Coley Park about a 1 ½ miles away on the outskirts of Reading, which housed the No.1 School of Military Aeronautics and  the No.1 Technical Training School., apart from flying they taught map reading, gunnery and mechanics. It was operational from 1915 to 1920.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

No, but just down the road there was Coley Park about a 1 ½ miles away on the outskirts of Reading, which housed the No.1 School of Military Aeronautics and  the No.1 Technical Training School., apart from flying they taught map reading, gunnery and mechanics. It was operational from 1915 to 1920.

Hi Knotty,

Jim eventually was posted to No.1 School of Military Aeronautics in late-1917, by which time he'd been promoted to the rank of Sergeant.  In the above photo, he appears still to be an airman.  Also, the addition of "AP RFC" text at the bottom of the image makes me thing "Aircraft Park."  Granted, Arborfield Cross is quite a distance from Farnborough and I have no explanation for why Jim and his team were there...unless they were out collecting a crashed airframe.

Kind regards,
Mark 

20 hours ago, Simon Warren said:

Brilliant . Thank you 

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have found the following in my records.

The name is misspelt (happens a lot in these records), but it is definitely your man.

NA Ref = AIR1/1/2173/209/13/3 Administrative Wing Routine Orders 16 Aug - 30 Oct 1915.

IMG_20230819_104430947.jpg

Edited by ROBPUGH

7 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Wow!  Many thanks Rob.  I knew Jim was based at Farnborough but, even in 1915, that was a major facility that collocated multiple RFC organizations.  Knowing that he was at the 2nd Aircraft Park is information I'd never had before.

It also helps solve a mystery that had been bugging me.  I have the following postcard that shows Jim, seated in the middle of the row behind the driver.  There never was an Aircraft Park at Arborfield Cross...but, clearly, the image shows some of his Aircraft Park colleagues.

27336290_ArborfieldVehicleandCrew.jpg.47805ae3d33d6b25ba761bc510b7237c.jpg

Again, many, MANY thanks for the additional insights into Jim's wartime service.

Also, apologies to other contributors to this thread for the drift I created.  Hope you'll all forgive me!

Happy to help Mark.

Great photo. Interesting that the Sergeant is holding a child.

It does appear they were just passing through the village, but the circumstances that lead to the photo being taken will probably remain a mystery.

On 19/08/2023 at 04:36, ROBPUGH said:

Happy to help Mark.

Great photo. Interesting that the Sergeant is holding a child.

It does appear they were just passing through the village, but the circumstances that lead to the photo being taken will probably remain a mystery.

Entirely agree.  Can't help wondering if the Sergeant was from the village and just "popped in" to see his nipper.

Interestingly, the pub visible in the background, the Bull Inn, was still a going concern last time I checked.