Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germans and wearing awards

stevenbecker

Mates,

I was looking at a question about a pilot and why he was not wearing any awards known to him, and wondered did they wear them all the time?

Although WWII my GF said he never wore them in the field, when awarded he sent them home to his mother.

The one he wore most of the time was a EK II, in his button hole.

He found getting in and out of the tank would catch his awards, so did not wear them.

That is his day to day work, would not work, and all that tat just does not make sence?

So would they wear that all the time, as in the trenches would also be a snipers dream?

S.B

The EKII would have been a ribbon only through the buttonhole. Likewise feldspange ribbon bars were very small versions of award ribbons and wouldn't have interfered with combat actions any more than rank badges would. Not an obvious target in the field for snipers in my opinion. 

Dave

High ranking officers and head of states (KWII), Großherzog von Baden, Oldenburg, etc. did not wear all their medals all the time and some officers especially in the Luftstreitkräfte or in tank units in rare cases wore an EKI made of cloth so as not to be in the way.

GreyC

Yes sorry the ribbon for the EK II, I should have said. and I believe also the Eastern Front ribbon.

I notice they had cloth badges during WWII, but I ve not seen that in WWI?

Although the tank thing was WWII, moving around the Trenches and no mans land with all the tin, does not make sence?

Grey,

Mate most Aussie reports mention German officers in Ottoman units, why because there seeing a EK on there uniforms.

of cause these are not Germans but Ottoman officers awarded a EK by the Germans.

So we are seeing awards on the enemy at distance in the Trenches