Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alpha Knight RAMC

trench whistle

I have a St John's ambulance examination medallion and re examination bars chain in the name of Alpha Knight. The dates are 1928 to 1953, whilst this is outside the scope of the forum I thought I would do a search for WWI personnel with the same name as it is slightly unusual. There is an Alpha Knight in the RAMC which would seem to fit. Is there a way of finding out if these are the same person? 

West Sussex Gazette 16th Feb 1928

... have passed for first aid certificates; William,Andrews for voucher; Victor Howell and Sidney French for modallions; and Alpha Knight, George May, George Mills, Frederick Moore, and David Mann for labels. Haslemere Lodge of the R.A.0.8. held their annual ...

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1900-01-01/1949-12-31?basicsearch=alpha knight&somesearch=alpha knight&retrievecountrycounts=false

Appears twice in the London Gazette 1949 & 1959. The 1959 entry is about being an Officer/Brother of an organisation which I think is the OStJ. Sorry no more detail the web page has frozen on me !

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?text=Alpha+Knight&categorycode-all=all&noticetypes=&location-postcode-1=&location-distance-1=1&location-local-authority-1=&numberOfLocationSearches=1&start-publish-date=&end-publish-date=&edition=&london-issue=&edinburgh-issue=&belfast-issue=&sort-by=&results-page-size=10&results-page=2

In the Order of St John Chivalry Order the rank of Officer is the second lowest rank, but abovethe rank of member, so perhaps he was made a member in 1949 ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Saint_John_(chartered_1888)

Edited by travers61

10 hours ago, IPT said:

This is Alpha Knight in 1939, involved in first aid work, very likely the same man.

image.png.2b54553e80be18a8bdb594982139fb21.png

(Ancestry)

Thank you. Yes most likely as there is s Home nursing plaque on the chain for 1940 so presumably he wanted to increase his knowledge at that point. 

9 hours ago, travers61 said:

West Sussex Gazette 16th Feb 1928

... have passed for first aid certificates; William,Andrews for voucher; Victor Howell and Sidney French for modallions; and Alpha Knight, George May, George Mills, Frederick Moore, and David Mann for labels. Haslemere Lodge of the R.A.0.8. held their annual ...

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1900-01-01/1949-12-31?basicsearch=alpha knight&somesearch=alpha knight&retrievecountrycounts=false

Appears twice in the London Gazette 1949 & 1959. The 1959 entry is about being an Officer/Brother of an organisation which I think is the OStJ. Sorry no more detail the web page has frozen on me !

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice?text=Alpha+Knight&categorycode-all=all&noticetypes=&location-postcode-1=&location-distance-1=1&location-local-authority-1=&numberOfLocationSearches=1&start-publish-date=&end-publish-date=&edition=&london-issue=&edinburgh-issue=&belfast-issue=&sort-by=&results-page-size=10&results-page=2

In the Order of St John Chivalry Order the rank of Officer is the second lowest rank, but abovethe rank of member, so perhaps he was made a member in 1949 ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Saint_John_(chartered_1888)

Thank you 1928 is the date of first label on the chain. I also have this that came from the same charity shop a few weeks back, presumably this was his as well then, if he was an Officer in the OstJ. Just need to link him to the RAMC Alpha Knight. 

IMG_20230817_072003.jpg

There is a WWI medal card to an Alpha Knight RAMC 80285. BWM & Victory only.

TEW

Thats a nice pic of the Officer medal of the Order of St John.

I have found some sources close to the WW1 years for Alpha Knight from Haslemere but none of them give him as military. I guess by the time the 1919 Electoral Roll was compiled he may have been demobbed, esp with the essential trade of Carpenter.

He seems to be the only person in England & Wales around WW1 with that unique name.

1911 Census living with his aunt & uncle at Haslemere working as a gardener.

1919 Electoral Roll for Haslemere, Surrey

image.png.8246da154f70c313e1a19fd5694402a4.png

Image from ancestry.co.uk

1920 marriage register for Haslemere

image.png.dd3f5df8a5bb5a96d53375b2df17371d.png

Edited by travers61

9 hours ago, TEW said:

There is a WWI medal card to an Alpha Knight RAMC 80285. BWM & Victory only.

TEW

Thank you. 

9 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, travers61 said:

Thats a nice pic of the Officer medal of the Order of St John.

I have found some sources close to the WW1 years for Alpha Knight from Haslemere but none of them give him as military. I guess by the time the 1919 Electoral Roll was compiled he may have been demobbed, esp with the essential trade of Carpenter.

He seems to be the only person in England & Wales around WW1 with that unique name.

1911 Census living with his aunt & uncle at Haslemere working as a gardener.

1919 Electoral Roll for Haslemere, Surrey

image.png.8246da154f70c313e1a19fd5694402a4.png

1920 marriage register for Haslemere

image.png.dd3f5df8a5bb5a96d53375b2df17371d.png

Thank you, it is a nice example of the medal and good to be able to put a name to it. Whilst assumptions are always a bad idea, I guess in this case it is fairly safe for me to assume that this Alpha Knight is the same person as, 80285 Alpha Knight RAMC since he seems to be the only person with this unusual name. Thank you again for everyone's help.