Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Farman F20 in SW Wiltshire: no number (?); mechanic?

Moonraker

I've just acquired a rather good card showing a Henry Farman on the ground with a number of civilian spectators and a policeman in attendance. (Crop attached.) Sadly no serial number is visible on the rudder, though J M Bruce, The Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing), has photos showing numbers on different positions, and it could be that in this case it's concealed by the elevators. (I hope that I'm using the correct terminology?) One of Bruce's photos shows an aircraft that is unnumbered, and he notes "therefore probably newly delivered".

A number of F20s were based at CFS Upavon from 1913, and this is just 19 miles away from Sutton Mandeville, which is the location inked on the back of the card. The photographer was G R Burton of nearby Tisbury.

I've shown the card to a local who is investigating further, though I've pointed out that there are unlikely to be any references in local newspapers from 1915 because of wartime restrictions. We both wonder about the man in the pillbox hat (?) at the front of the aircraft and the tall man near the tail who looks as if he's in uniform (an RFC "maternity jacket"??) So perhaps a mechanic?

It looks as if the F20 is about to take off.

Expert comment invited - and gratefully received.

FarmanSMcrop.jpg.efce3027d63830bd97cc2a8c7dd23ea6.jpg

On 16/08/2023 at 15:55, Moonraker said:

I've just acquired a rather good card showing a Henry Farman on the ground with a number of civilian spectators and a policeman in attendance. (Crop attached.) Sadly no serial number is visible on the rudder, though J M Bruce, The Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing), has photos showing numbers on different positions, and it could be that in this case it's concealed by the elevators. (I hope that I'm using the correct terminology?) One of Bruce's photos shows an aircraft that is unnumbered, and he notes "therefore probably newly delivered".

A number of F20s were based at CFS Upavon from 1913, and this is just 19 miles away from Sutton Mandeville, which is the location inked on the back of the card. The photographer was G R Burton of nearby Tisbury.

I've shown the card to a local who is investigating further, though I've pointed out that there are unlikely to be any references in local newspapers from 1915 because of wartime restrictions. We both wonder about the man in the pillbox hat (?) at the front of the aircraft and the tall man near the tail who looks as if he's in uniform (an RFC "maternity jacket"??) So perhaps a mechanic?

Expert comment invited - and gratefully received.

Possibly the Farman mentioned in The Wiltshire Times & Trowbridge Advertiser of Saturday 4 April 1914 under the heading Airman in Trowbridge - A 'Plane from the Plain.

Unfortunately no mention of a serial (perhaps confirming that the machine was unmarked) or name/names of the pilot or passenger.  The report mentions that it was a bright sunny day - consistent with the shadows visible in this image - and that a damaged plug was the reason for the forced landing.  The man with his hand on the lower main-plane could possibly be a Royal Marine.

I have failed to find mention of this incident in other periodicals so can only assume that the machine was only on the ground for a relatively short period.  Long enough, though, for the local photographer to take full advantage!

Edited by pete-c
Additional information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 15:55, Moonraker said:

Not immediately as the elevators are in the down position.One burst of the engine and they're up on their nose!

And if the aeroplane is about to take off, then the crowd and the mechanics (?) need to stand well back. (There were several incidents, including at least one fatality, involving early aircraft and curious spectators at Lark Hill around the time the photo was taken.)