Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC small officers' bronze badge on blades

max7474

14 hours ago, max7474 said:

I would be interested in any comments as to this badge.  Collar sized but blade fittings as seen on a cap badge.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 18.24.02.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 18.23.57.png

Although a less popular style of fixture I think it was a variation offered by some makers for officers service dress bronze collar badges to be fitted to jackets.  As I’m aware that you will know, OSDB badges were specifically designed to not need cleaning, and so unlike other metal badges they could be semi permanently secured in place.  That size of badge was also commonly used on the field service cap that although not used on the Western Front other than by the RFC was an item of headdress still popular among British-Indian army formations.  I don’t know whether or not MGC officers deployed in other theatres of the war might have worn them.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks.  It's maker marked Gaunt who made both full sized cap badges on blades and collars on lugs so I suspect you may be right and it's not a collar variation but a bespoke FSC badge.  I can't think of many other examples of collars with blades but as they were private purchase then anything possible.

9 hours ago, max7474 said:

Thanks.  It's maker marked Gaunt who made both full sized cap badges on blades and collars on lugs so I suspect you may be right and it's not a collar variation but a bespoke FSC badge.  I can't think of many other examples of collars with blades but as they were private purchase then anything possible.

It would be interesting to try and ascertain what MGC usage of FSC there was.  They were extremely common headdress in British-Indian formations.

Edited by FROGSMILE