Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension cards

Dirty Harry

I keep coming across pension index cards stamped or written with the word “shell”. 

what on earth does this refer to please?

thanks,

paul

is it possible that the ones you have seen have no reason for wounds ie GSW in which case it could be "shell shock".

the pension cards would probably have been started late or post war when shell shock was recognised as a wound or sickness

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been a civil servant [or similar] but I do not believe SHELL refers to "Shell Shock". Neurasthenia would be more likely for "Shell Shock".

I believe it is an administrative term.

I think a Shell file was a paper file which had no significant content - possibly as limited as only a cover and nothing inside [Just set up to receive material, if/when anything needed filing].

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Mat that would seem to be more plausible. I’ve seen shell shock on ledgers before but not on index cards 

1 minute ago, Dirty Harry said:

I’ve seen shell shock on ledgers before but not on index cards 

Certainly the cause of disability is rarely put on pension index cards, but more frequently [though not always] put on pension ledger pages

If you care to offer an example I would be happy to have a look for you to see if that would potentially fit your case.

M

The term DUMMY is quite frequently used on pension ledger pages [I don't recall it on a pension index card] = but in that case I think those were Dummy files created to receive other/later papers whilst the main Awards file was elsewhere for whatever purpose - once the main Awards file was returned the Dummy file's content would be combined with the main Awards file and the Dummy file cover then destroyed.

I think a Shell file was quite likely a main Award file which ended up with no content beyond the initial paperwork added at its opening. 

But as I said, I've never been a Civil Servant!!

M

Edited by Matlock1418

On 31/08/2023 at 18:41, Dirty Harry said:

Largey, Michael (26429) WWI, Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923.jpg

I'm afraid I can't offer more at the present on Shell Dead 16.2.24 so I think this topic may be one for Craig @ss002d6252

Though I will comment that this LARGEY pension index card has a corresponding pension ledger page(s) - but seemingly for a later period 1920-1930 [Malaria claim by a married man with one child]  The claim notes certainly weren't dead by 1924, as notes continue to 1930. See:  https://www.fold3.com/image/644950197 and https://www.fold3.com/image/644950198

M