Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AOK4

Hello,

I was in Finland again this Summer and took my time to revisit the former Finnish Artillery Museum, now Museo Militaria in Hämeenlinna, in the shadow of the castle.

The link to the website of the museum: https://www.museomilitaria.fi/museum-militaria-in-english

I can highly recommend this museum to anyone interested in the history of artillery (but also communications and engineers). It focuses of course on the Finnish artillery (Finland was until 1809 a part of Sweden and then until 1917 a part of Russia). However, because of its situation in World War Two (being part of the countries that were promised to Russia by Germany in the Ribbentrop-Molotov Treaty), it fought a ferocious Winter War in 1939-1940, preventing an annexation by Russia, and acquiting an enormous amount of all kinds of (almost outdated) weapons (artillery pieces) from all over the world.

It's a very interesting place to see a lot of different WWI artillery pieces. Below are just a few pics to get an idea.

(BTW, there's also the very impressive Panssarimuseo nearby in Parola, that's the tank museum)

Jan

artillery01.jpg

artillery02.jpg

artillery03.jpg

artillery04.jpg

artillery05.jpg

artillery06.jpg

Edited by AOK4
link added

• 3 months later...

Lots of good museums in Finland, nice pictures.