Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Godalming Fire Station Plaque

Shipwreck

I would like to share this plaque with you. It was once on the outside wall of Godalming's Fire Station in Queen Street, but later moved to the inside of the new Fire Station on Bridge Road.

Plaque.jpg

Thank you for sharing, glad to see it’s well looked after by the team at the  Station.

interesting that the Godalminingfirestation.com internet site has a list of former members of Godalmining Fire Brigade.

it includes a Albert  James Tayman MC killed 16 th August 1917 but he is not included on the above memorial.

Surrey in the Great War also records him as a Godalmining Fireman living nearby. aged 27 Inniskilling Fusiliers. No MC mentioned.

Possibly an oversight or not accurate research, shame if he was overlooked. ? Love a little mystery. Haven’t time to look into it today so will check in later for any progress.

Hi Toontraveller thank you for commenting. I have reseached as best I could, and have put it down to an error on my part.  I have no idea where the original info came from?
I have updated the page to reflect this. (my web site) If however you find that he did receive the MC I will be more than happy to update the page again.

Roy

3 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

Albert  James Tayman MC killed 16 th August 1917 but he is not included on the above memorial.

Surrey in the Great War also records him as a Godalmining Fireman living nearby. aged 27 Inniskilling Fusiliers. No MC mentioned.

3 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

thank you for commenting. I have reseached as best I could, and have put it down to an error on my part.  I have no idea where the original info came from?
I have updated the page to reflect this. (my web site) If however you find that he did receive the MC I will be more than happy to update the page again.

A London Gazette search for Albert  James TAYMAN fails to uncover him - would be expected to have been an officer if awarded a MC  [thought the site is prone to its foibles] - so at least a commissioning entry with full name would be expected.

A widow's pension index card at WFA/Fold3 has that full name as a Private, 43558 - CWGC confirms this rank, number and provides a Godalming address for his parents [with a Rotherhithe address for his widow - no children recorded - so a standard Pte's widow's pension of 13/9 pw] - thus a MC is very unlikely!

Not even a MM turning up at LG so far as I have found with that surname and number.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

• Admin

There is a note in the Surrey Advertiser dated 17 October 1917:-

“Pte Albert James Tayman of the Inniskilling Fusiliers, formerly a member of Godalming Fire Brigade, is now reported killed.  He had been missing since August 16th.”

So no MC.

He is on the Busbridge War Memorial.  

1911 Census occupation  - printer. Born 1889/90

Married July 1915 certificate may show occupation

SDGW shows formerly 6974 London Regiment

[Pte. 43583   White 2/25th (Cyclist Battalion) London Regiment  to BEF 11 February 1917.

Posted to 10th Inniskilling Fusiliers and renumbered 11th April 1917]

Thanks Matlock1418, kenf48 & Toontraveller for the research it's much appreciated. I have ammended my web site to reflect this.