Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Varham Manavian. 1916 series postcards and a mystery similar stick.

TullochArd

On a routine roam around the GWF (it never ceases to amaze me how many leads and clues are tucked away in old posts) I came across a postcard by Varham Manavian on an unrelated subject posted by Frogsmile a while back.  Manavian was a Turkish artist who produced many, many postcards that proved very popular with the troops in Egypt. 

Frogsmile's post "Very good, very nice sticks" led me to another "Shine Sir - half piastre" and I couldn't help notice the similarity between a stick that has been hiding behind a wardrobe in my home for years (below) and those shown on the postcards.

My question: Does any of the Brains Trust know what type of root stick these were?  Judging by the apparent number for sale in 1916 (Manavian has a sharp eye for detail) it suggests a local and common Egyptian product perhaps?

Thanks in advance T.A.

Manavian Sticks.jpg

Manavian Boots.jpg

Stick.jpg

These types of weapons go by several different names, with local & tribal variations.  Here is a photo of a Maasai rungu taken from Wikipedia:

IMG_2289.jpeg

Many thanks D.D.  That's certainly a bit more business like than the twiggy version I have but I can certainly see the similarity.  T.A.

Sticks like this normally go by the Afrikaan name of Knobkerrie in Southern Africa and is likely to be the name the British Army would give to anything looking similar.

12 hours ago, Spaceman said:

Sticks like this normally go by the Afrikaan name of Knobkerrie in Southern Africa and is likely to be the name the British Army would give to anything looking similar.

“Knobkerrie” is the first thing I looked up, which led to rungu which bears a striking resemblance to the item in question.  

The manner in which they are represented in the postcards is that of a tourist item, so a “tourist version” is not unreasonable.  A cheap swagger stick from an exotic locale was probably quite marketable.