Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Willie Moore (full name), 2/2684 Gunner, NZEF attached 21 Sqn, RFC, 28 Sep 17 until c. Jan 1918

Errol Martyn

According to his NZEF file, Willie Moore, following his attachment to 42 Sqn, RFC, mentioned in my other post, was then attached to 21 Sqn, RFC, on 28 Sep 17 until c. Jan 1918. A bit of a long shot, but I’m wondering if any forumite here has come across mention of him during his time with the squadron. His NZEF file provides no details, but he may have been employed as a gunner/observer on its RE.8s?

TIA,

Errol

Hi Errol,

Unfortunately the following 21 Squadron Roll does not show your man.

It's from a Roll of all Officers, including Aerial Gunners serving on the Western Front in January 1918.

Your man's attachment could have ended before the Roll was taken, or attached men might not have been included?

image.jpeg.c4f482c3d10ff323f71168acc8ed03a8.jpeg

Edited by ROBPUGH

Hello Rob,

His absence from the January 1918 roll might be explained by his being sentenced to 14 days Field Punishment No 2 for conduct to the prej[udice] of good order & military discip[line] [and] Addressing his senior officer in an improper manner . . .  21 – 1 – 18!

Cheers,

Errol

• 8 months later...

I stumbled upon this as I was searching for some details regarding my grandfather.   My mother is 94 and is in long term care and is afflicted with dementia.   She has regressed to her childhood speaks a lot about her father who was Bill or Willie Moore who served in WWI.  He was a surveyor and later a dairy farmer in the Bay of Plenty.  She tells me that he was sent up in aircraft with maps to mark things upon them.  The Auckland Cenotaph has records of a Willie Moore who was born in 1897 and who was a surveyor and who went to France in 1916.  Much of this matches except he seems very young to be a qualified surveyor.   Perhaps a trainee surveyor would have been a better description, or the date of birth is wrong or there is another Willie Moore.      

I do recall her speaking of him flying with maps where he marked things upon them, and she remembered seeing such maps as a girl.  If she is right, I hope those maps do exist and are in a suitable museum.     

Robert, I have sent you an email.

Errol